1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by GalaxiaN, Dec 28, 2001.

1. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just completed Baldurs Gate on the PS2 in Normal mode. What a cool game. Sure there's a lot of hack-n-slash but I'm a sucker for D&D games (roll on Neverwinter Nights).

Shame it's over so soon. As is becoming the norm for console games it's been completed pretty quickly (I think the save game time was 20 hours).

Have already started the game again in Extreme mode. This allows you to use a character from a previous save game so I can start the game with my 17th level Elf Mage. This may sound like a walk through but it's not as the monsters are beefed up beyond belief. Even the beginning rats and Kobolds are causing me problems.

I'd been waiting for ages for Devil May Cry. Played this for a week before my Pre-Order of Dark Alliance turned up and haven't looked at DMC anymore. Shame cause it's a good game and I was doing well but can't seem to stop playing this one :)

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Since your on the web I take it you have a PC? Why don’t you get Baldur’s Gate the very fist in the series or the twin pack bundled with Tales of the Sword Coast. BG is very good you even meet up with a very famous Drow. I have also played Icewind Dale which is good but not in the same class as BG, this also can be got in a bundle. The are both on reduced, BG can be got for £9.99

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

3. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already completed the first Baldur's Gate on the PC and remember the encounter with Drizzt :D
    I enjoyed it but prefer to control a single character rather than several. When controlling the whole party it becomes more of a RTS game rather than an RPG. I hope that Neverwinter Nights will be the answer to my prayers.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to have completed balders gate (9 hours) and although it is a fantastic game and well suited to the format the recall potion ruins it (basically get as far into game as your current potions allow then before you die simply warp back and buy more stuff lather then repeat and before you now it game completed.
    Im quite surprised this was not mentioned in any reviews because apart from being caught unawares buy the odd boss it was impossible to die using this method.

5. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed the recall potions are a bit of a spoiler. It depends how you approach the game though. I basically scavenged every piece of equipment, armour and weapons I could carry and then used the recall to return to the shop and build up enough cash to buy better weapons/armour. This in itself is a bit of a spoiler in that I felt some area's of the game were too easy because I had been thorough in my scavaging and had equipment above the levels expected.

The Recall potions should have been a very rare item and made very expensive to purchase from the shops.

I'm currently replaying the game on Extreme with Drizzt. At this level even the healing potions cannot save you. Simply using heal potions like a rapid fire while surrounded by numerous enemy will not work, you will die.
    So this makes the game far more challenging and some area's have to be approached with a little more thought although I'm not sure how I will defeat the final boss with this character as I've always relied on missile fire. Drizzt cannot use a bow and his magic abilities are limited.

I read someone slagging this game off on another forum a few days ago saying there is no skill and just stand there hacking the enemy until they die. Hmmm! Maybe it's just me but isn't playing like this extremely dull. I try and attack the creatures from the side and back. This allows a few hits before they turn and then I'll move again to their sides and so on. (bit like Quake circle strafe) This is easy with one but becomes more complex with 2 or 3 foe. Certainly standing there just bashing a button hoping to be the last one standing is not the way I play and would have got bored of it a long time ago had this been the case.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Have you played Diablo II it is of a similar vain and you only control one character, I think on the day of its release it was the fastest selling game ever (that could mean PC). In it you can play one of 5 different classes. Amazon, Barbarian, Necromancer, Paladin and Sorceress. There is a upgrade which you can play two more character a Assassin and Druid and you get more levels to play. You can also play it over the net.

7. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't but will check it out thanks as it sounds right up my street :)

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
  9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I bought Balder's Gate on friday : EB were sold out on oxford street incidentally.

I like it : look wonderful possibly best graphics I've seen on a PS2. I've only played it a couple of nights ( last night I was on it until 2.30am!) Only ever use the recall after I finished one whole mission if you like and only after I've gone back and made a hoard of all the sellable items/weapons dropped by foes.

Very enjoyable and I disagree some of the encounters do require a bit of thought.

Incidentally did you see Alyth bending over after finishing the crypt level. I could see right down her dress!

Played the diablo2 demo a while ago: didn't feel quite as responsive and immediate as this though.

Hope to get the missus to play 2 player with me after I finish it first time.

10. GalaxiaN

GalaxiaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe! Steady there m8 :D

Agreed the graphics are some of the best seen on the PS2. No visible jaggies and obvious use of full anti-aliased graphics something I'd like to see more often on the PS2.

Garrett Downloaded the Diablo][ demo at the weekend. Played it for quite a few hours and found it very enjoyable. It's not as nice looking at Dark Alliance but has all the same addictive qualities. Might purchase it once I've completed Devil May Cry, Return to Castle Wolfenstien and Alien vs Predator 2 :D

Just like buses you wait months for a good game to come along and then 10 arrive at once :)

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    One of the best things with Diablo II the characters are very different, as in BG I found the Paladin, Fighter, Ranger etc. very similar, but with D2 you get skill trees that you use all the time. As I do not have a PS2 I cannot compare it with your game.
    The price I’ve seen D2 is about £19.99 now and I think you can get it in a pack with the expansion pack, plus the original which was good for its time but is a bit dated now.
    I also think D2 is not as pretty as BG2, but then you do not have all them painful loads.