1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balancing Volume.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jstn, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Jstn

Jstn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't seem to be able to balance the volume of my speakers at all. I can't get my fronts to match my centre. I've got a pair of Tannoy Mx2-M fronts and an MxC-M front. All part of the same series so surely they should match, yet the fronts, the Mx2-M's are significantly quieter than the centre. I've tested it using the test tone and to get the centre too about the same volume I have to reduce the centre by 5.5 dB, this seems a big difference for a set of speakers that should be ideally matched.

Any thoughts,

P.S How do you configure the delay from fronts to rears, there doesn't seem to be a test for it. I though it would do something like beep in front left/right + rear left/right at the same time so you can fiddle with the delay until you can only hear one beep.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think 1 ms delay per M.

Try fiddling with the dynamic range compression/dialogue normalisation setting.

3. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought 1ms/ft.

4. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have a set up Wharfdale Diamonds, the front left/right speakers are a good 4dB quieter then the centre and rears.

Noodle is right, delay is 1ms/ft or 1ms/30cm.

regards

Barry

5. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So,

1) It's entirely possible that you may have quite a difference in centre and front levels, even with speakers from the same range.
    2) You set delays by measuring the distance from seating position to each speaker. e.g. 10ft to front speakers, 4 ft to left rear = 10-4 = 6 so left rear delay is 6ms.

Ben.