1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balancing speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by villaceltic, Jul 9, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (I know I posted this on amps and receivers previously but got no responses - impatient I know but it's really annoying me now)

I'm using an SPLM to try to balance all 6 of my speakers. From following advice from related threads I've turned my amp up to 0db and my SPLM to slow, C and set it to 80db. I then test each speaker in turn and turn the volume up/down to get approx 85db from each speaker.

However, and this appears to be the problem, if I cycle through the speakers again they are 'off' the level I've just set them to.

So

Is the amp resetting these to it's own idea of speaker balance (my surround left always comes back louder than it was, my rear and surround right quieter). I did, prior to having the SPLM, try to balance using the distance from each speaker to listening position that the amp has as a setup option.

Also when I check the speaker set up on the sound menu it seems to keep resetting my mains to large (I have Kef KHT's so set to small)

The result is that when playing anything I'm always wandering round listening to each surround to see if there is any sound coming through.

Any ideas?

Macca
    :confused:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Do you have to memorise the settings at all with a key press? Might be worth doublechecking. If it keeps losing the settings then it's possible it might have a fault (hopefully not the case).

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do you have the sub woofer setting turned ON If not your mains have to be large, the system may be reverting to a previous setting because it does not like the idea of everything being small. Just an Idea.

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you setting the channel level correctly? Its not the volume you need to adjust for each speaker it is the level (range -10 to +10 db). Its shown on page 50 of your manual.

5. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mitch2000,

Well done - you're quite right I was indeed only changing the volume and not the levels! Thanks.

I've also found out about using the memory guard which should protect these levels when set and hopefully will stop the amp reverting to 'both' rather than recognising that a sub is there.

Thanks again - I will endeavour to read the manual fully next time

Macca