Balanced VS Unbalanced Interconnects

Tower Block

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I own a Primare A32 & Pre 30 amp with a Chord sig unbalanced interconnect, i've read and been told by various people and salesmen to get the most out of this Primare amp i'd be so much better off using a decent balanced interconnect?

I would have to buy online as my local dealer doesn't seel balanced, so was just wandering what your thoughts are on this issue are and is it worth buying a balanced interconnect for the Primare? and If so which ones are reccomended ??

In my opinion, it really depends on how long the links are between these components. Balanced connections do offer a few generic advantages:

- Noise rejection: Balanced equipment can effectively eliminate external noise sources picked up in the cable.

- Equally, balanced cables emit close to zero EMF to interfere with other cables nearby.

- Increased headroom: Balanced gear will have an extra 6dB headroom.

From a noise/interference point of view, the benefits really only become noticable in electrically noisy environments, or over longer (as in 5m+) distances.

If you're operating in a relatively clean environment, with short links between the equipment, I suspect you're just fine as you are. However if you would like to give some balanced interconnects a go to be confident you're getting the very best out of your equipment, very high quality XLR cables are available for less than you might imagine due to their prolific use in the Pro Audio industry. You'll almost certainly find them cheaper than than your current Chord RCA cable!

I have a PowerBuy here on the AVForums making built-to-order XLR interconnects. Take a look here.

Hope that helps.
Ben.

Yeah they're cheap, might as well give them a go, do you make them yourself? If so which other interconnect have they been compared to?

plus from what some people are saying it does simply depend on your equipment as it is alot to do with system matching, and the Primare A32 Power amp is to simply work much better on balanced.

Yup made by me to whatever length you need. Other connectors available also if needed.

I think you're right - it is also down to the equipment. Most bits won't have seperate input stages for unbalanced vs balanced, so are either running 'balanced' connections into unbalanced electronics, or vice versa. It's probably best practice to give the kit what it ideally wants.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom