1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bag End subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Tony De, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Tony De

Tony De

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought a mj acoustics reference 200 and although it sounded fine at the demo,I now fell that it can't keep up with my main speakers PMC AB2S which are driven by an Arcam A85 and P85 combo_On trawling through the web as you do I came across a company called Bag End subwoofers. A sub of theirs called an infra 18 caught my eye. Has anyone seen or heard one of these in the flesh? Any info gratefully received

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Secrets of Home Theater reviewed one a few years ago here but they aren't very common in the UK.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    When you say it cannot keep up with the main speakers does this mean the bass seems to slow down the sound, if so it sounds more like the sub is not correctly placed within the room

4. Tony De

Tony De

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No what i mean is that it just hasn't got enough drive in my room,which is about 30x15.As far as placment is concerned it is about a 9th down one of my long walls in the area where the bass is the most powerful.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't think a 1 cu.ft subwoofer and a 30 foot room add up to eternal happiness.

Can't help about the Bag End except for reading a comparitive review of high end subwoofers online. My memory is faulty but I thought it failed to match the bottom end performance of its companions in the review. You should be able to find the review.

You would have to ensure that a 250Volt model was available and that the performance offered matched the final price when it reached your listening room. Purchase price + freight + import tax + VAT on top of everything soon adds up. If you can only buy it locally through a dealer expect to dig very much deeper.

Nimby

6. Tony De

Tony De

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help .I have looked at the web site Ian supplied and have decided that although the infra 18 goes down low,on paper it's max output is way short of my pmc's.Along with the mj acoustics sub I also auditioned rel's st series but not the new storm5 as no one had any at the time and also the velodyne spl series.The only sub I heard that rocked my world was the velodyne dd15 but couldn't afford it.Any suggestions as to what I should have a listen to up to about £1600. Thanks.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If size isn't an issue the SVS PB12-Ultra/2 is a reference quality sub that will be delivered to your door for about £1,500 but it is a large beastie.

Secrets of Home Theater reviewed it here where every superlative under the sun was used to describe it.

8. Tony De

Tony De

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thans Ian the svs looks very interesting.Do you know if anyone has shipped one over, and if they have has there been any feedback from them.

9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    You better have a look round this area a bit more :) Most of the sub posts are about svs...where to get them, how much it'll cost you, how wonderful they are. There are literally hundreds of member who have imported them.

try searching for "import svs" or just "svs".

Here's Ian J's very own thread on importing

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121385&highlight=import+svs