baffling network

bazkav

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone shed some light on this for me please
I have 3 pcs networked together, through a router.
they should all be able to share files and drives with each other, and 2 of them can, but the 3rd pc can not have it's shared files opened by the other 2 but it can access their shared files.
This was not always the case it has only stopped granting access 4 weeks ago.
I started the affected pc in safe mode and logged on as the administrater then the other pcs could see the shared files, but once logged on as normal again back to where we were.
Any help wuold be greatly appreciated!

What operating systems are we talking about here?

All on windows xp

They joys or a peer to peer network. It's probably one of 2 things....

1) Passwords. Check that all PC's have user accounts for all users and all passwords for each user are the same on each PC. This is the great thing about running with a domain controller (all passwords are managed from one central point). So for example if you have 2 users called Fred and John, check these accounts exist on both machines and that the password for Fred is the same on all and the password for John is the same on all. Remember passwords are case sensitive. Don't use blank passwords either as XP doesn't like this.

2) Check your firewall settings. SP2 firwewall disables file/print sharing by default. Suggest to prove the point that you switch all off the firewall on all network cards.

Rob.

Does it give you an error when trying to access that computer ?

It gives the following error message

F on computer (or which ever share I try to access) is not accesible you might not have permission to use this network resource contact the administrator of the server to fing out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

I had that error when I installed a Norton AV product onto one of my computers. Do you have Norton on this ?

yes, do you think I should uninstall norton?

No need to uninstall, you can get rid of it by editing something in the registry if you are confident enough to do it.

Before doing this regedit session make a backup of registry/create a restore point.
You need to edit the following registry entry on the computer with Norton on:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]

Over the right hand side is a value called:

IRPstackSize

It will be set to some value between 4 - 12 (in decimal) - mine was set to 11. Edit the IRPstackSize key and delete the numeric VALUE (not the key).

Reset all the computers and now all shared folders are accessible.

For some reason it keeps putting a space in the word "services" above. Note that there is no space there.

uninstalled norton (did not use it anyway) problem solved cheers for the help, much appreciated happy xmas!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom