1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Badly Recorded Vocals Causing Distortion?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dom H, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems a few dvds I watch the vocals seem to suffer slight distortion (independant of volume). It's noticible when people shout, theres a slight popping. I have recently replaced all my equipment apart from the speakers and I noticed it in the old setup also, thought it may be the speakers but the distortion is present in headphones also. It must be the recording on the disc. All other loud sounds, explosions etc. seem fine. Other discs, such as gladiator also have no problem.

My gf never picks up on it but I notice, anyone else?
    A few discs I can (vaguely) remember are;

Exit Wounds - Near the end when they all meet up in the warehouse before the final 'showdown', mainly when the fat ploice chief raises his voice

Kiss of the Dragon rental - The scene where the bad guy meets the chinease police chiefs(?), particularly when he shows them the surveilence photos.

2. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm really interesting. I was beginning to worry myself about my setup. Having up till recently used a simple hifi setup to watch DVD's i've now moved to home cinema (Yamaha amp and Kef eggs) and notived slight distortion on some disks, only in the vocals and usually only when they shout. The bizarre thing is that it doesn't happen on all shouting. So I decided to do some experiements.

1. Tried DVD through headphones from Amp. Distortion still there.

2. Tried DVD through TV speakers, via scart direct from DVD player. Distortion still there.

3. Changed volumes, distortion still there.

My conclusion was it was either my DVD player or the DVD's, since by playing direct to the TV and listening on TV speakers neither the AMP or Eggs were being used. It seems other people have also heard this.

As you say, my wife doesn't hear it, only me.

Some disks i've heard distortion:-

+ R2 A Knights Tale. Beginning argument when the knight is dead, leaning against the tree and whats his face is complaining about not having eaten recently.

+ R1 Alias first season, first episode on second disk. When they're arguing in the van about whether she should have given the CIA the codes and not SD6.

There are some others but I can't remember them. It certainly doesn't happen on all disks. Bizzare.

Anybody else found this?

Mark.

3. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I noticed clipping on the R4 BTTF on the dts track and on the R1 superbit Adaptation when Brian Cox is yelling. I assumed it was my setup - (Yamaha amp also).

4. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder whether this distortion is caused by Jitter?

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Would that suggest it's down to the dvd player or the disc?

6. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a bit of a novice in Digital -> Analog I would say on the disc. The reason: Well the fault, certainly in my case is present both on the analog audio out on the scart and on the Digital Out to my Yamaha Amp. Since both the Yammy DAC and DVD DAC both are creating the same distortion.

Dunno, could be completely wrong :). I don't have another DVD player to try.

Mark.