Badly Need Some Help Here People !

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ismael-1986, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi people, i have a pair of soundlab speakers which have a 15 inch driver with 5 bullit horns and 1 large flare peizo horn, each cab is 350 watts each 700 watts peak at 8 ohms, i have a rubbish img stageline amp ( sta-121 ) driving 80 watts into each speaker but its obviously not enuf, i am using a headphone jack connector from the back of my pc which converts into the standard left/right rca leads then of course into the back of my loverly techins equalizer then into the amp via rca, the speakers have a weird'ish round speaker connection but im using the binding posts.
    so anyway i need some advice.....i need an amp that can throw out some serious power to drive my speakers cos they just dont sound that gr8 !

many thanks anyway !!!

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    350 Watt PA speakers. Only way you are going to get them singing is with a decent PA amp. How about a pair of these bridged? You do realise they will be confiscated when you are awarded your ASBO?

3. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi thanks for that, all i need to know is will i be able to use that amp with the standard red and white stereo rca wires?
    and use normal black and red bare wire from the speaker or do i need some kind of special connection?
    and last of all what can that amp do while in stereo mode on my speakers thanks !

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    In stereo mode you should be able to get around 110 watts plus into your speakers. It will be an improvement over what you have but that is a lot of speaker and you should be looking to provide them with more juice. Two bridged amps or one of the more powerful models in the range should be enough but one of these is still a bit of a gamble.

5. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    my stageline amp is not the best in the world but its ooook !

if i get my self a much more powerful amp will this make a big diffarence ?
    im not totaly blasting out my current amp but the speakers are hardly moving even when turned right up so will me getting a new much more powerful amp make them much better !

i do want stereo as using rca jacks from the pc so can u offer me some advice on what to look out for, sommat with around 300watts per channel at 8ohms in stereo with rca inputs thansk

6. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    To be honest with you I’ve never heard your speakers so have no idea as to how good or bad they sound. If you’re not happy with the way they sound, I’m not convinced that a more powerful amp will change your opinion.

:)

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It does depend on what the OP was expecting, if the expectations were based on the speakers looks or specs then it could be anything. If based on that amp sounding better with different speakers, or the speakers were better with another amp then the first and most likely option is to feed them sufficent power to make them happy.

The problem with PA/DJ kit is it looks very good value for money. Thing is, it is cheap for a reason and certainly not designed for near field use in a bedroom, or any normal sized room for that matter. They are fine if you are setting up a DJ business but if you are a bedroom mixer or just like club music then there is a pair of Tannoy MX3's in the classifieds that will knock spots off any PA speakers below a grand a pair IMO for nearfield sound quality, and with decent domestic speakers if your mixes sound good on them, they will sound good anywhere!

8. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    they do sound good with alot of base but 80 watts into each speaker is just not that much is it, iwant to be able to get the most outta them !!
    im in a bedroom i work 59 hours a week and like to be able to come home and unwind :)

9. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    :confused:

I'm confused.

10. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    where can i find a good enuf amp for my speakers with rca inputs thanks

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

As ever,you don't really seem to have thought out what it is that you're after.

If you are willing to spend enough money,it's easy to find pretty much whatever you want from an amplifier.

In his post above,CableMonkey clearly answered your question about the inputs,outputs,connection options and power outputs of your amplifier,which is quoted in your first post as being "rubbish" and "oooook" in the next.
    I also directed you in a previous post about the amplifier to easily found web references as to it's connectivity and power outputs.

I think that what you have to understand is that PA oriented gear is designed for efficiency,and not always accuracy,and once again,CableMonkey's post above makes that point very clearly.

It is very likely that having been designed for PA use,in a bedroom,those speakers will not perform well,and you should be looking at changing both those and the PA amp(the Stageline),although I suspect that HiFi is not what you're after.
    If it's purely noise and SPL,then the speakers will handle more power obviously,but you'll be limited once again to PA amps if you want cheap (and at that price,crude)power.

12. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have the cash i just want to be pointed in the right direction of an amp with some good output power with rca inputs cos i dont understand lxr ect and all that

13. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
  14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Behringer EP2500 or EP1500 depending on budget.

Worldwide respected power amp for big subwoofers.

Lots of people now using them for high output levels on AV speakers too.

Just add earplugs.

Pardon? :suicide:

15. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    those Behringer's look awsome, but i dont see any RCA inputs on it, how wud i go about connecting my cd player ?
    thanks

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    You'd need a preamp with volume control.
    If your present amp has Pre-out sockets you could use that as your preamp.

17. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no its got no option like that, i have no idea what to look out for, does anyone know if the soundlab P115CS speakers are any good from expairence ?
    thanks, is it worth me going to all this trouble to get a bigger amp

18. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I guess it depends what you want them for? I'm sure as a PA/DJing speaker they are fine; as a HiFi speaker, I'm not so sure? I think you need to be clear as to what you want, a HiFi or a PA/DJ setup? Once others know what kind of set up want, you may get the information you require.

:)

19. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    IMO PA kit in a house is a bad idea, but it sounds as if your just after loud which is what these'll be good at. People have pointed you in the direction of amps, but it sounds as if your speakers have a neutrik speakon connector (the round ish one you spoke of, like a circle with a notch in it) and to be honest I'd go with that connection over RCA plugs any time.
    Just my view.

20. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    my speakers have a screw binding post and a round output but with no bit in the middle just a hole like what you wud put a headphone jack into, not 3.5 the bigger one, im not really gonna be doing patties just for me in my bedroom and yea i want loudness so thats why i got these big boys, if i get myself a good amp will i get more out the speakers or is it not worth it, i mean they sound pretty good with that stageline amp just not enuf power but i aint to sure, someone also told me i can get an amp with xlr input but theres some kinda rca to xle adaptor i can get, i know alot of people have been pointing me in the right direction but theres to much to decide on, i want a goo amp well built that can do 8 ohms in STEREO around 4-500 a side, with binding post speaker out and what is LOW OUTPUTT AND HIGH OUTPUTT thanks

21. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    All of the above advice has been that using a set of PA speakers for this sort of application is likely to give poor results.

The speakers are to put it bluntly,geared for a relatively low price,high efficiency and not a great deal of subtlety or fidelity.

Most PA amps are designed with similar qualities in mind,(although not all),and as has been said many times above,you need to consider exactly what you want out of this.

I.e. if you simply want more noise,then a more powerful PA amp from any one of the many manufacturers will give you what you require,even with the speakers you already have....but remember that doubling the power results in a 3dB increase in SPL only.

I certainly wouldnt concern myself with the relative benefits etc of balanced(XLR) Vs single-ended(RCA/phono) inputs at this price level.

22. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    so what your saying is dont bother then ?

23. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Please...read what I and several others have posted above.

What we have all said is that you must decide what your requirements are....

If you simply want more noise/SPL,then a higher powered amp may make a some difference.
    If you want better quality sound,then you would need to consider going a different route.

PA gear is designed for specifically that purpose...public address/club etc.

If your post refers to the XLR/RCA issue....at this level,dont worry about it.

24. Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man, I'm glad I don't live next door to him!

25. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :D yea thats what nxt door prolly think about me !

yea its purely more loudness and spl i want so i'll just look into getting a good power amp ! sommat also with good base levels cos the stageline is crap at that !

26. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Me too, things is, PA speakers are long throw speakers as well, so even the people across the street are going to be crying.

27. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think you will find that the power amp has less to do with your apparent bass problems than the speakers,which are far more likely to be the root of the problem.

The specifications on these speakers are typical of the breed in that limits for the response arent even quoted...this usually means poor response at the LF and HF ends of the spectrum.

Now...this thread is beginning to go round in circles and will probably be closed soon.

28. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    when i connected the speakers to a quality sony hifi system i got really good bass so i know the speakers are not that bad !

29. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

Then as above,you have answered your own question.

Try a couple of differing,but higher quality amps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.