Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Bad SKY reception?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Zarch, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    I am having picture problems on all channels. These problem include picture freezing, loss of sound and pixellation etc.

It gets much worse in bad weather (rain etc).

In rain my signal is as follows

Signal Strength 1/5th of the bar
    Signal Quality 2/5th of the bar

And in fine weather it is as follows

Signal Strength 1/3rd of the bar
    Signal Quality 3/5th of the bar

Do you think I need to get an engineer out to twizzle the dish?

I have had my SKY too long to get a SKY dude out so i'll have to get someone out of the yellow pages.

How much would you recommend I pay for this service?

Cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Certainly sounds like a dish alignment problem, SKY charge a flat rate £65 for a call out and will repair/replace any part of the system which is required. Independents vary alarmingly in the rates they charge, some actually slap on a call out fee before they even commit to any work. However if you do only need the dish realigning it's one of the quicker jobs assuming easy access so use SKY's charge as a guideline.
    Don't forget though there are many factors that could cause your problems, the alignment is the obvious one but it could also be LNB skew or preformace, badly corroded and water damaged cabling.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the dish is within easy reach you can check the alignment yourself. Take a portable TV outside and connect it to either RF output on the Digibox with a suitable length of cable. Set the Digibox to display the signal menu. Now gently push the LNB up, down, left, right and see if there's any increase in signal and quality. If there is, then your dish needs to be moved in that direction. Likewise, once the dish is aligned, the LNB "skew" (rotational position) can be adjusted for highest quality reading. This is critical for Astra 2D programmes so check BBC and ITV before finally tightening the LNB clamp screw(s).

Bear in mind that problems can also arise from:

Faulty/kinked cable or water in the cable.
    Faulty LNB.
    Faulty Digibox.
    Leaves growing between dish and satellite - worst in summer.

(This is the point where most people realise they forgot to mention the tree - or the fact that someone just finished building a big tower block!)

Fman