Bad Sessions

chump

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bloody hate bad sessions!

I work out every other day. Of course one of those days falls either on a saturday or sunday. I work during the week getting up 4:30am and not getting home until around 5pm - i then workout immediately. Yet the sessions during the week are normally fine. Normally hit PBs or maintain weight. Yet nearly every session at the weekend i feel weak and struggle to finish the session (although i always do :smashin:).

I'm wondering if there is some physiological or maybe psychological reason why. Last night i got 10+ hours of sleep (compared to 7-8 per night during the week). I didn't go out and have rested all day. I'm wondering if when relaxed your body goes into a more sedative state which makes doing a heavy weights session more difficult than when 'riding' a higher state of activity during the week?

Anyway it's no major biggie - just makes me feel like i should just not bother with weekend sessions and just smash it during the week :D

I always find if I do a weekend session, it's nearly always a bag of poop !! Normally workout during the week after work and tend to only workout on a weekend if I've missed a week day for whatever reason

You'd think it would be the other way round, knackered after a day's work - our bodies are funny things :)

Are you warming up properly? Maybe on weekdays you're pushed for time and are on your daily schedule/routine so you tend to be more focused and aggressive?

I train best in the mornings an hour or so after breakfast. Weekdays are good but nothing beats a Saturday workout.

Maybe you've got better things to be doing with your time at weekends - distracted whereas in the week its kiilling time till Saturday so no biggie ?

Personally i workout 5 days a week , one bodypart a day and try and do my first two days of the week on both Saturday and Sunday , mostly as the gym is quieter so more chance of no waiting and I can have a wholefood post work out where as I get home from the gym at 9:30 -10pm in the week so its a p/w shake then bed to be up at 6

i think it's down to the fact that i do a physical job during the week and so my body is used to being 'active' so when I subsequently do a workout my body is already in the 'zone' so to speak. As a few have mentioned I perhaps need to integrate an intensive warm-up into my weekend routine to get me up to the same level as during the week.

The other reason i hate bad sessions is how demoralizing it can be. Luckily it doesn't last though when i smash it at the next session :D:cool:

The only bad session is the one you didn't do :)

I'm the same at weekends though. I don't know if it's down to a different food intake or just a mental thing but I really struggle training in the daytime.

I put more effort into going to the gym Monday to Friday as I see the weekend as my rest days. I went today as I hadn't been there since Tuesday though (was away to Ireland, the most rural of rural!) and felt the benefit for going today.

Normally if I force myself to go on a weekend though, it's rarely a good session. Often down to how busy the gym is and/or lack of equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom