Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by huwg, Nov 4, 2004.

1. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Has anybody bought this?
    how does it compare to their previous releases?

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Sorry for making assumptions as I haven't heard it but as with most later Bad Religion albums it's probably similar to the one before but not as good! If you don't already own the earlier stuff then buy 'No Control' instead and start working both forwards and backward from there!

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Just bought that. Im not usually one for the lyrical content of a song as I like to let the music do the talking. But Im gobsmacked by the elequence of those lyrics......pure poetry or is it just a talent for the thesarus ?

4. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yep, 'Suffer', 'No Control' and 'Against the Grain' are my faves, (with 'Against the Grain' being top of the pile :clap: )

But I still enjoy some of the more recent(ish) stuff, most noteably 'Stranger than Fiction'.

I've got them all up to 'the Grey Race' (which I didn't really rate), so that is why I asked the question of the new album.

Nice to see someone else out there has found the remedy for Coldplay.

Karkus - You will find a dictionary comes in handy with the 3 I've mentioned above, but you still find yourself singing the words nonetheless... :laugh:

Altogether now..
    "Rectilinear..........."

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    :laugh: Cant wait till I can sing all the lyrics, get some looks then I'd imagine :D

Coldplay ? :mad: Stick the nut on with some Killing Joke a bit of a beating with the Melvins, gobbed on my Minor Threat and a quick spray with the Ramones to remove all those nasty, slow, plodding melody lines.........ah all better now doctor .

6. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Karkus - How are you getting on with 'No Control'?

Reason I'm asking is initially the whole album washed over me in a 30 minute rush, but songs like 'Henchman', 'You' & 'I want to conquer the world' provided the hooks that made me play it over end over.

I've still not bought the latest one though. - after Christmas.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I was quite the opposite with No Control! It was the first Bad Religion album I heard and I just couldn't get the songs out of my head after hearing it. 15 years on and 'I Want to Conquer the World' is still buzzing around in my brain!

8. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    There's a pattern here, Against the Grain was the first one I heard, and it is my favourite with No Control a close second.
    I've put those 3 albums on 1 90 minute tape which lives in my car, great stuff.

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Early days............so many albums, so little time. Cant complain its a nice position to be in. But between the Rough Trade Indie pop 1 compilation, the Germs.....MIA, The Arcade Fire-Funeral, Screaming Trees - Dust, Pavement- Crooked Rain, Butthole Surfers -Locust Abortion Technician, Beat Hapenings - You Turn Me on .............and many, many more, theres just not the time.

10. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Karkus - I see from another thread you've bought the Empire Strikes First and it makes your top 5 of the year.

how good is it? and how does it compare to No Control?

Cheers

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Different, but still the same Bad Religion really, I just couldnt resist "Los Angeles is Burning" which is a cracker of a tune. Try not to sing along the second time you hear it :laugh:, but theres lots of worth while stuff, the usual harmonies and lyrics and stunning guitar work. My feeling is that they are in tune with the times and are as passionate and angry as ever (Rage Against the Machine for Punks). I dont think it is as hard and fast as 'No Control' , but in a way its just as good. I felt the same way about Janes Addiction, when they released their last album, but the differentiator is "LA is Burning" which lifts the album to another level.

12. fatwreckpunk

fatwreckpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My favourite Bad Religion album is the first one I ever bought which is SUFFER.