1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Reception on Pioneer 435XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sidepipe, Oct 19, 2005.

1. sidepipe

sidepipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I am after a little advice... Bought a 435XDE about 11 months ago. I connected it to an existing roof antenna and got virtually no signal on analog or digital, assumed it was the antenna and that I would get it fixed at some point ( hadn't used it on anything else since moving in to the house ) and thought not a lot more about it ( I have Sky+ and a basic cable package so no biggie I thought. )

More recently, decided to try to sort the aerial. Plugged it in to the media box again and this time managed to get a digital signal ( though only 13% ) and an analog picture that was recognisable as such ( and in colour, just ) but still not watchable. Went out and bought a 52 element high gain antenna and just to try it put it in the loft ( I don't have a ladder long enough to reach the chimney! ) Connected it to the Pio and still had the same problem. Having visions of having to hire a ladder and someone who likes heights, I tried plugging the loft antenna into a 14" telly I have - lo and behold it gave a perfect picture. Connected the roof aerial, same result. Tried a friend's freeview box - perfect. Tried a VCR, same result.

Now suspecting the media box ( though odd because both analog and digital tuners were suffering ) I called a pioneer service centre. They sent an engineer. He said "it's your aerial mate!!." This DESPITE him having a different receiver box with him ( i.e. not a R05XE but some other box ) which gave a good picture, and despite explaining to him that everything else we tried works fine. His explanation... the plasma tuners "work differently!" Hmmm.

So, I have a bit of a problem. If it really is the antenna, then does the R05XE box REALLY have such a bad tuner, and if so should I have to spend money and effort replacing an otherwise perfectly good antenna to make it work? Even then, I couldn't be sure that the problem would go away, because the high gain antenna did not work either ( though I would obviously have to try it on the roof, I can't imagine it would make THAT much difference to the signal strength from being in the loft. )

So, has anyone had any experience like this with the 435 Pio's? If so, did a better antenna fix it? If it could be the box, is there any easy way to confirm that it isn't sensitive enough without visiting the roof? ( I have tried the RF out of the Sky box which seemed to be ok on the plasma, though I guess that signal would be MUCH stronger...? )

Thanks - sorry for the long post :rolleyes: