1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad quality after converting to MPEG2

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stevebb, Jun 27, 2003.

1. stevebb

stevebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ive recently bought a sony trv60, pinoeer dvdr106, pinnacle studio and tmpgenc.

I can capture the video perfectly to avi and the quality is excellent. I then use tmpengc to convert to mpeg2 and the quality is very poor. I was under the impression that tmpengc was the best at converting avi to mpeg2?

Is there a standard set of options i need to use?

Im recording in 16:9 mode on the camcorder and converting in the same format.

Thanks

Steve

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Are you capturing to a DV-AVI?

The quality from TMPGEnc will easilly exceed commercial digital TV or DVD encoding, provided the right settings are used. If you send me a private message with your e-mail address I will send the templates that I use.

Have you got the aspect ratio settings correct? I am not familiar with trv60, but does it capture as a 16:9 frame or as a 16:9 image in a 16:9 frame? In which case use the 4:3 aspect ratio and let the display sort out the displayed aspect ratio.

3. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Rui's Guide is very good source of info for settings in TMPGEnc.

TRV60 does not have a 16:9 CCD so you are throwing away 25% of your resoltuion by recording in that mode (unless you are using an anamorphic lens , which would cost more than the camera)

IMHO TMPGEnc is not THE BEST encoder but it certainly is one of the best value for money quality encoders, even if it is slow.