1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Plasma Picture - Please Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fecdave, May 19, 2005.

1. fecdave

fecdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic TH42PA20 Plasma and SKY+ which is connect by a high quality Scart Cable but the pictures is almost unbearable!

I very inexperienced with AV, so looking for a bit of help. Would a scaler help a lot? If so can anybody recommend a good model compatible with this screen, or someone who can calibrate the screen in the Nottingham area?

:lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for calibration see www.homecinemaengineering.com (but check firts if you have plugged the TV scart on sky box to plasma and see if it set to RGB or Composite (PAL) swap it round and see what you think. also try connecting with S-video from Sky+ (see your manual for how to connect S-video equipment)

3. fecdave

fecdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky set to RGB output and the Scart goes into the RGb Scart slot of the Plasma, so I dont think I have made a mistake on that front ( think! )

Would a scaler be worthwhile?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try composite (PAL) and see what happens......(then try S-video)

5. fecdave

fecdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just went into settings on Sky and changed it to Pal, the picture is considerably better. Thanyou very much!

A Naive question im sure, but why is this?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK long story RGB is better every body knows this correct? well anyway it is unless the manufactirer makes a complete balls up of it and it looks horrendous!! :eek: dont worry had me scratching my head my arse in fact everything for about a week! anyway get an S-video to Scart cable and connect sky+ S-video out to AV2 IIRC set it to AV2-S and watch glorious (well as glourious as sky can be) TV.....feed a PA20 S-video and your laughing, (feed it RGB and its a laughing stock)

PS the answer is here http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/137AV-300.html

7. fecdave

fecdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just about to order ( Switch at the ready ! )

Two quick questions

1) Do i simply plug one end into S Video on Sky +, and the other end into Av2 on the back of the Plasma? There are three Scart Sockets, AV1, AV2 and AV4

2) In the picture on the link, there is a Scart at one end which is fine, but at the other end, the image appears to show two connections, is this correct? one goes into S Video, what does the other go into?

Sorry for being uninformed, and thanks so much for your help so far

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    since mr Dragon seems to be busy elsehwere, i will field this one!
    the other two (two not one) are audio, if you need audio into plasma connect these to the (RCA) audio out of Sky +. If you use optical for audio then no need really! :)
    (this is because s-video does not carry audio btw)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sorry ched, (nice to know other people can feild them too tho) was busy setting a few things straight. Make sure it is an S-video to Scart (wrong way round wont work!) yes other connections are for analogue audio from sky to plasma (need to use AV2 IIRC, manual will tell you which are S-video capable) does the PA20 have component on AV4 as well? if so use this for DVD if not already!

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    quite alright sir!

11. fecdave

fecdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys, have ordered and will let you know the difference

Its a connection minfield out there and you provide a very good free service to the uninformed like me

PS HD I ordered the one on the link you sent me, hope this is correct!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL i double checked it and am 99% sure if it is wrong tell TVcables it was me who messed up not you!!! I linked to the 3m one IIRC hope thats long enough (and i used to charge alot for my services be happy you get them FOC, but i might go back to charging soon!!! :D )

And do let us know how you got on what difference you see....please

13. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon, I was a bit confused when I saw your posts about S video. To me S video is not that much different to PAL. Ok you don't get the PAL cross colour so much, but the PAL decoder artefacts are still there as is the limited Y/C bandwidth and noise. I even know of some AV kit that recombines Y/C at the input and then processes as composite PAL to the screen!

Now RGB is not composite in any sense. I avoid S video at all costs if there is an RGB first, or component video second option. If the SCART is fully wired for RGB (which some aren't) and he's using AV1 ( Some AV2's don't offer RGB) then having selected the RGB option in the Sky box and Panni all should work fine in RGB shouldn't it?

I thought manufacturers default their menus to output PAL composite because all SCARTS have their composite wired and it's easier to fault find the setup/cabling with one wire than three, in some cases sync is on green or on a 4th wire. More importantly, the consumer needs to see a setup screen first, not black caused by a cable problem.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    voxmagna what are you on about? fecdave had a picture and was unhappy, this is due to his particluar plasma (he had set it up acccording to common wisdom) however the specifics of his TV mean that RGB while on paper superior will look worse than composite (PAL is not composite but it is mislabbelled as so in skybox menu hence my reference to PAL) S_video done properly can be very very close to RGB and while RGBcvS as used in scart has greater bandwidth its oddities mean componet YUV/YPbPr will out perform it on most display (RGBHV is very different to RGBcvS) so what is your point? THE PA20 handles RGBscart very very badly as posts above indicate whether you choose to use Y/C Composite is up to you but i always choose the connection method that works best for client (delivering the best PQ with budget available) do you have a PA20?

15. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry I dont want to start another thread, but would feeding Sky + via my Denon 2805 S Video upconverting be just as impressive as using the J.S RGB-VGA converter box?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    unlight ask cardiff irons as i think he has been through a couple of similar options

17. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have also found RGB to be unacceptable on my Viera. Although not so bad on Sky, DVD picture has major contrast and banding problems. I use s-video from DVD. It is much much better than composite (no jelly faces), and certainly much better than RGB on my plasma. My DVD player does not unfortunately offer component, which having tried it with my old Sony 725 would be the best option if only...

18. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Hornydragon.

I might get a RGB - S Video lead and give it a go. To be honest Im not all that happy with the RGB-VGA converter so would be better off with a hundred quid in my back pocket!

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    unlight you need an S-video to S-video lead no need for RGB or scart ends ( assuming this is for Sky+ connection)

20. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep - Oh thats great, I didnt even realise that the Sky + box had S Video out on the back!

21. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It depends entirely on your screen, as fecdave's panel is not brill at RGB but is at s video, he gets the best pic through s video. technically i believe RGB is best (between s-video and rgb), and i have heard stunning results from these forums from that J.S converter, with panny screens.

Also did you mean upconverting s-video to something else (i.e. component) or did you mean upconverting to s video.

Basically i think you will get the best pic from the J.S box

22. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horneydragon, I don't have a PA20 and from experience you sound as if you have seen enough of these to know that RGB doesn't work well and give the advice that gives the best picture.

I'm afraid I was coming from another direction. In my comparison of picture quality and before I see a picture I think about signal architecture in the box and whether the PQ is consistent. If a product performed well on S or composite and badly on RGB, I'd wonder why and whether the RGB input was merely being coded to composite inside the box (which make signal selection cheaper) rather than bypassing the PAL decoding.

If I look at captions and see colour fringing when my input is supposed to be RGB I know something is wrong. But I now understand your advice is helping owners whose set architecture may not deliver what would normally be expected.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    In this case th eRGB signal is RGB and is actually inferior to composite i can go into some of thereasoning for this but it comes down to a very poorly desingned chassis from panasonic which was fitted to the PA20 and the PD30 CRT's IIRC the same chasis was improved for the Veira PE/PA30 and RGB pefromance is now closer to what it should be! It does do a bloody fantastic job with a decent clean composite signal tho and S-video is gorgeous