1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad picture on recordings from UKTV History

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by brownrog, Dec 6, 2004.

1. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've started a similar thread to this on the recorders forum!:confused:

I use a Pioneer DVR-420H to record from a Freeview tuner. I am getting nasty blocky pictures on playback of HDD recordings from UKTV History on Freeview. The progamme was Alan Eneira's "The Kings & Queens of England" (please, no royals jokes! :) )

The problem occurs only on footage of historical reconstructions. Studio shots of Eneira, modern film footage (eg of modern royals), interview shots etc are all fine. But the reconstruction footage (using actors as historical characters) are almost unwatchable with bad pixellation.

The progs were recorded in SP mode (2 hours on 4.7GB DVD) on the HDD. Unfortunately I was not able to watch the actual broadcast quality. The tuner is a Thomson DTI1000 feeding RGB to the 420H. Signal level is good. The problem has not occurred on any other recordings of terrestrial TV; I have not recorded anything else from UKTV History, however.

Anyone else encountered this and can anyone suggest what might be going on please?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I think you'll find the original is like that - its deliberate. The scenes are blurry, indicating they are historical - you know, art :confused:

Nothing wrong with your kit.

3. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, yeah - creative explanation (I like it :) ) Bit I'd still prefer the trees to look a bit like trees rather than unrecognisable areas of green rectangles.

Still, I don't like much of the stuff at Tate Modern either. Typical philistine I suppose! :rolleyes: