Bad picture from RGB connection, HELP?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zebadee69, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Can anyone give me some help/views as to the problem I experiencing?

I have a Toshiba 900E connected to a 32” Toshiba widescreen TV, I’ve been using an S-Video connection, which works fine, but I thought I’d upgrade to RBG and bought myself the ‘QED Squart RGB Scart Cable’. I instantly noticed picture improvement, higher resolution etc., but it’s also introduced a very annoying picture defect.

While watching dvd films shadows appear horizontally across the screen, any action/moving images on the left side of the screen creates a shadow which stretches from left to right across the entire screen. It looks like a bad VHS copy but with an underlying great quality picture.

I’ve connected through the other scart sockets on the back of the TV and it plays fine, but this gives me a standard video picture and what I want is RGB.

Anybody give me some ideas as to the problem?

Regards

Peter
    :mad:

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a different scart lead.

Even if it is just to rule out the cable.

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Which model of Tosh TV do you have and does it have component ins, most of theirs do? If so try these for an even better picture, hopefully without the shadow.

4. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Unfortunately I purchased my Toshiba over 3 years ago so it doesn't have componant inputs, still has a great picture though compared with some tv's of today.

Toshiba 32MWDB
    Toshiba 900E
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Amp.
    B&W 602's front
    B&W 601's rear
    B&W CC6 centre

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,742
    I suffer similar sort of defects while watching through RGB also. S-video is fine, but i want to watch through RGB !!!

I use Ixos scart lead and i,m not impressed at the moment. I,ve e-mailed everybody under the sun trying to find a solution. Still trying , very frustrating !

Kev

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I remember fixing really weird faults on the 28/32 Tosh models that you mention.

The original fault was to add a capaciotr to the AV PCB board, RV49 I think. It was originally meant to cure audio cut out problems but I stuck it in whenever I saw one of those sets just in case. It was almost the 'magic potion' for them. It's a long shot, but the point is it was the most common mod we did.
    Ask in any wksp as they have lists of mods for sets and will quickly tell you what's needed. I only mention that cap as it does sit directly on that PCB, near to, yep you guessed it, the AV inputs.

Well, at least you know a bit more about your TV now that 30 secs ago if nothing else. :rolleyes:

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a known fault on the Toshiba 32MW7DB (and some of the other older Toshiba models) which had a problem with RGB.

Although NTSC and PAL shouldn't affect the RGB, the fault tended to occur on R1 material and not R2. Also, digiboxes connected to the RGB would be fine too.

This occured on the first revision 32MW7DB and the revised model (which included the first and second version servicepacks).

This subject is discussed often, or was as Tosh have sorted the problem on the newer models, on the uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup. A check of google will show you some of the archived messages.

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,742
    Can you give me that site address again please.

Kev

9. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Kevin

The site address you wanted is as follows: http://www.newsgate.co.uk/uk/uk.media.home-cinema/

General Shanky

The above comments look promising, I own the model mentioned, 32MW7DB.

I have an extended 5 year gaurantee with Comet, do you think there engineers will be aware of the problem? or is it best to contact Toshiba direct?.

I don't want the Comet engineer to turn up to tell me, "Sorry mate, I'll have to take it back to the work shop, should take about 2 weeks". If they're aware of the problem could they come prepared and repair the TV without taking it away?

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Google archive on Toshiba RGB problem

As far as i can tell, there is no repair for the RGB problem. I'm not even sure that Toshiba themselves have acknowledged it as a problem. Especially as the problem only exists on the older models and only seems to happen with NTSC sources.

It is generally a case of using RGB for your PAL sources (skyD etc) and use s-video for the dvd player.

Luckily, the s-video on the Tosh is very good. If you switch the scart over to the s-video scart and check that out, you will see there is very little difference.