1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad News Means Good News And Advice Request

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Timothy Leary, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Timothy Leary

Timothy Leary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately my house was broken into the other week with my DVD player and a number of films being stolen leaving me a bit short on the old home entertainment front.

However, every cloud has a silver lining and although I lost my Toshiba DVD I have decided that now is the time to upgrade my home cinema system, which I haven't done for a good 8 years now.

With the insurance money I've upgraded my DVD player to the Pioneer 565 and can't really decide on what to go for on the surround details so any advice is appreciated.

I am trying to stick to under or around £500 for a combination of the following to fill my soon to be newly decorated living room, which is approx 4.3m by 3.6m so a big system isn't what I'm looking for.

Amps
    I am torn between three Pioneer ones, the C301, C501 and the D812. I am thinking that I might be able to get away with the 301, but don't really want to undersell the DVD player. At the same time I don't want to have my amp underperforming as well. Price wise, there is a £200 seems to be the most for the 301, whereas the others hover just above £300. My worry on the amps is that if I invest in the 301 will it do my DVD player and speakers justice, similarly if I settle on the 501 or 812 will the speakers that I am looking at do those justice?

Speakers
    I am torn between three systems. The KEF KHT2005.2 are probably out of my price range which is why I am really considering one of two other options, both of which are around £350. These are the Mission Cinema M70 and the Elac Cinema One 5.1. My main concern is whether either of these latter two would be appropriate for any of the amps that I am looking at i.e. will the 301 fall short of these speakers and alternatively will these speakers fall short on the other two amps? (although I am open to suggestions for other speaker systems as well)

Sorry for asking a bit of a long-winded one, it's just that it's taken me ages to finally get enough money and getting around to overhauling the system that I don't want to make a mistake lol.

Many thanks :)