1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news for PSP importers!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by GalacticaActual, Jun 6, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I have just come across this on the Melon farmers web site.

6th June PSPs aren't Portable to Europe
    From The Register

Sony has taken legal action against resellers selling PlayStation Portable (PSP) devices ahead of the official 1 September European launch. The consumer electronics giant has sent "cease and desist" letters to grey market traders that are selling PSPs to UK punters after importing them from either Japan or the US, where the eagerly sought gadget is already on sale.

PSP can play games, music and films. Supply shortages have obliged Sony to delay the European launch of the console, originally due in March 2005, for more than six months creating a market for parallel import (grey market) sales despite Sony's opposition to the trade.

The Japanese manufacturer is claiming infringement of Trade Mark. But one reseller at the receiving end of the legal nastygrams, ElectricBirdLand, claims that key technologies, trademarks and software utilised in Sony’s new portable gaming platform have not even been registered by Sony in the UK. For example, the PSP trademark has apparently been registered by a small Bristol-based IT and design firm, called Owtanet.

Because PSP games are region-free, companies like ElectricBirdLand and larger retailers can avoid rip-off Britain and buy games outside of Sony’s European distribution channel at a cheaper price

Sony declined to discuss ElectricBirdLand's criticism of the motives for its legal action or the trademark issues it raises beyond issuing a general statement on its actions. The cease and desist orders refer only to the ‘PlayStation’ trademark, which Sony does hold. In a statement, Sony said: We informed trade accounts of our position on this matter in a letter sent out in April, and are now following this through and enforcing our IP rights, where necessary. The law is clear, and the activity of parallel importing of PSP products from the US/Japan is unlawful. It should be clearly understood that under no circumstances does SCE [Sony Computer Entertainment] consent to such activities.

So, what do think of that then?

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Sony wins, consumers lose. Whatever happened to reducing trade barriers and improving consumer choice? It's a shame a big retailer like Tesco haven't taken Sony on, as they have more power. Sony may well scare the smaller retailers into submission, which in my view is scandalous.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    They want the free market to supply cheap labour, but when the shoe is on the other foot and the consumer benefits, they hate it.

Complete hypocrisy, and I would condone anyone receiving PSPs from abroad and congratuate them on using their own initiative and circumventing "rip-off" Britain.

4. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Tesco took on Levis a couple of years ago and lost.

As for Sony, it's shame, that they feel so threatened by a few companies that import for Japan or USA. The way Sony are behaving is that someone else is getting the money from buying of PSP machines from the US and Japan.

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Did they (I genuinely don't know-not meant to question your knowledge)? I thought they won a European court judgement that let them continue to sell grey imports? I can't remember now... I assume Tesco don't sell Levis any more then (I don't shop there)?

I don't see how Sony lose though? They still sell machines at full price in the US/Japan, so what difference does it make which country they end up in after sale? I don't see how they can justify their actions at all.

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I got my PSP imported for 225 euro with a game, a saving of 80 euro plus 4 months early. Screw you, Sony. You want to rip me off? That's all well and good. I just won't bite. They may still be getting my money, but not as much of it.

7. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    :hiya:
    My knowlegde was not being questioned and it certinly wasn't taken in that context, The Tesco Vers Levis, I believe to be true, if I am wrong someone please correct me. From what I remember after the case Tesco had to sell Levi products at the correct price, that's if they could get any because of the other bully boy tack-ticks.

No manufacture likes there products to be sold as 'grey' it can hurt their brand image. If the Grey import is being sold in competition with the so called genuine item. The real issue is with SONY, if they had launched on time there would not really be a 'Grey' market apart from the very small group of hardcore people who couldn't wait and the ones who don't mind taking the risk of buying from overseas, me being one them. Its a bit of a shame really because most of the companies who are selling to UK customers are do a pretty good job and know doubt some of them will also get the warning that if they are known to be selling to UK customers then SONY will stop supplying, 'Cutting off your nose to spit your face' springs to mind

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they cant do anything about anyone who is in the US or Japan buying one over the counter etc and selling it on to someone in europe or europeans get a flight and buying one! I think everyone in Europe with a PSP should email the local sony office with photos of their PSP at a landmark! and tell them that if they continue to force this action you will only buy "grey" software (where they make all the money) an no local sony software................... or call Sony Playstation support 01923 653598

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Love it - great idea! Wind the :censored: up!

The thing is, grey imports are the proper product, just for sale in another country. The Levis are legitimate Levis (made by Levis etc), just as the PSPs are legitimate PSPs. Just not manufactured for that market. Are Sony really telling me that UK PSPs are a superior product to those on sale in Japan/US? No, of course not, this trademark talk is just a smokescreen. If they didn't rip us off, there would be no grey market. Simple as.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Screw Sony and there rip off Price fixing taking UK consumers for a ride AGAIN :lesson:

I paid £120 for mine delivered I just think its funny that they are trying to stop it. THEY WILL NEVER STOP ME :devil:

11. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    its ok Sony, you can keep it, I dont want one anyway, keep it out our country, il be happier that way

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Disgusting attitude. I'll buy products from whatever country I see fit thank you very much.