Bad news for people awaiting delivery of AE-100!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I just spoke to a mate in the UK (he's seen my PJ in action, & want's one!), & here's what he told me:

Phoned a main Panasonic dealer in Bicester, Oxfordshire.
    Asked about availability & price for AE-100.
    Was told none were in stock, asked for his number, would call him back.

Called him back 15mins later.

"Sorry, but Panasonic UK, & hence us, cannot give a delivery date. The PJ in question has been "oversold" by 440 units, &, until this backlog is cleared, we are unable to give a delivery date".

The guy giving this info was very apologetic, saying he had never had this response from Panasonic.

He also said that as & when units became available, main Panasonic dealers would have first preference, so ordering from them would be the quickest.

Still unbelieveable that Panasonic have not upped production (maybe they have?) to cope with the demand for this unit.

Me, well I sent my faulty unit back to the retailer 13 days ago, & today, after several e-mails from me, have been told a new one is on the way to me.

Fingers crossed (for myself - hope to have a good, fault free, before the end of the week) for all who have ordered, & for all prospective buyers, I hope you've lots of patients :D

2. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wonder if a lot of these PJ's have been bought by pubs etc to show the World Cup. I went into "The Slug and Lettuce" in Cambridge the other day and guess whats strapped to the roof... :)

Yep you guessed it an AE-100 :eek:

HEADRAT

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny dealer I bought from said they sold many of the AE100's to pubs, clubs and restaurants and by the sounds of it they were easier customers to deal with - not bothered about dead pixels and also paid top wack. No wonder that there's a shortage of them for the private AV buyers.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Kramer

Good Luck! I hope its a good one this time.

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think oversold by 440 units is a major understatement, I know of one dealer not far from us with 150+ on back order -

6. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spoken to a very large dealer and he says they are expecting them in this week....Mmmmm I wonder? Could it be they have sold out to dealers and we may get a chance yet?

7. mariegriffiths

mariegriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scarcity in projectors is in the most part due to the world cup.
    I know of a guy waiting for a Sanyo.
    Let's hope England get knocked out soon so that people lose interest. :devil: :D

8. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here here

9. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my panny now for about a month,received it the day after i ordered it.Haven't been able to use it once yet as i am still decorating my lounge...........Not very comforting that is it:blush:

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Hello all

Rogeralpine - your dealer is mad - selling LCD to pubs is a mugs game; far to much smoke and other particles in the air. Your dealer will need that 'full whack' price as they will be in and out like Yoyo's sorting out problems.

There are now a couple of 'sealed' LCD projectors that are aimed at the pub market as an alternative to 'sealed' CRT models.

Benji_m - 150 units, they must have about 75 customers lined up then :) much as I love the image quality of the PT-AE100 it would be a nightmare to deal with the problems 150 units would produce - especially at the pricing some dealers are firing these out at

Woody183 - have you tested it yet; remember your warranty is live from day one!

Stock availability - I don't expect to see an improvement for a while yet; probably the week before the replacement model arrives we will all be able to get as many PT-AE100's as we want.

I think everyone is starting to see that the distribution of this product is a pretty hit and miss affair - our friends at Panasonic have a very complicated NEW computer system that is proving to be a real nightmare.

Lets hope everyone who is awaiting a projector gets sorted pretty soon.

Best regards

Joe