1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news for my wallet!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by LFCRules, Oct 6, 2004.

1. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Both my Sony DVD and Amp celebrate their 5 year anniversary this year, and are due for an upgrade. In a trip into town today, I thought I would stop off in the local Audio-T to check out the latest products. The "bad" news is, they had the ARCAM DV79 and FMJ29 playing in the shop/demo room. I had a quick 10 min demo of the DV79 on a projector (component connection), and 5 mins of the FMJ29 (HDMI) on a plasma. And wow, they were both good, damn good. They have both jumped to the top of my wantlist, and hence the bad news for the wallet ;)

Now I have a few decisions to make. I was going to replace my CD72T with either one of the DVD's above. Would this be a good decision, is the sound comparable or better on either DVD player?

Also, given the Sony 44 RPT I have, I am not going to make use of the HDMI connections on these machines for at least 2 years till the TV gets replaced, or sooner, if it blows up through over use :) I was thinking of the future to get the HDMI now. The thing is, there is always going to be improvements in AV over time, and buying now to hopefully be future proof in a couple of years, may not be a good investment. So, should I go down to the DV78, DV88+/89, or FMJ27A and wait the couple of years and upgrade then?

Obviously, I have a couple of more proper scheduled demo's to do with the DVD players and CD side by side, but I am just looking for opinions of the owners of the ARCAM DVD range. And just for the record, I love my current ARCAM gear in black, and I have absolutely no problems with an obvious layer change in my DVD player :D

Thanks, Andy

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I previously had a CD73t and loved the Arcam sound. About a month or so back I got hold of an exdemo DV27 and the CD replay was even better to me than the CD73t. So the CD73t went on eBay and all CD replay was on the DV27.
    I have since swapped out the DV27 for a DV29 due to a couple of problems with it. At the moment I think the CD replay is a little dull compared to the DV27, but then again the DV27 being an exdemo player was obviously well run in so will need to give the DV29 a while to see if it catches up which I'm sure it will.
    I was advised by the salesman in Seven Oaks S&V at Holbourn that the DV79 would be roughly equivelent for CD replay to the CD82 and the DV27 to the CD192. I did not do any side by side comparisons other than with the DV27 and my CD73t so can't really comment on how accurate their comments are.

Mark.

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Thanks for the info Mark