1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news for Half Life 2...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by VintageMark, Oct 7, 2003.

1. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I misreading this story on the register?

Looks like HL2 wont be out for Christmas... because of the source code leak...

How on earth would a source code leak affect a launch schedule? Excuses do you think?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33260.html

Mark.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    Yes I was talking to a mate at weekend, who spends most of his time playing Counter Strike and was he sick.

Thanks to some clever sod a lot of people enjoy has been put on hold.:mad:

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    As a guess I would say that different code-key coding would be implemented so as to safe guard the game. Just have to wait now :(

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I heard they only lost some coding routines related to the game engine: no artwork nothing that relates to the material of the actual game.

Bit like breaking into the ferrari factory and coming out with a handful of bolts and tin of red paint.

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I am gutted.

I wish that they wouldn't announce games until they are sure they will be finished in X number of weeks.

:confused:

Rob

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    They got the source code that would allow them to hack and there by cheat.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I'll try and look on the bright side of life for once - at least it will give me time to save up for a top of the range graphics card

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (Crap, I had this post finished and had to re-type it.)

Yeah, it looks like a mess of stuff will have to be changed to keep users from exploiting the source code. (CD authentication, etc) With the source code, it would be incredibly easy to develop cheats that would pretty much kill the MP aspects of HL2, so Valve wants to make sure these are kept to a minimum.

Apparently Steam (Valve's shifty delivery system) code was also included. Day of Defeat 1.1 (HL1 mod) has been delayed indefinitely for the same reason. Steam security will have to be reworked to maintain integrity. This will hurt Steam's credibility more than anything else, IMO, as Valve wants to use it to sell games to users.

Oh, and in case this wasn't interesting enough, Valve have confirmed that there is a pre-release Beta of Half-life 2 making the rounds on the Net now. From what I've been reading, the demo is roughly around E3, chronologically speaking. (ie, it's not up to date with the source code) Some people have said it looks awful, and others have said it's fantastic. So, it's probably optimized for a specific computer setup for Valve to use in-house to test new features.

Personally, I don't think the demo leak will hurt Valve at all. If anything, it'll tide over some gamers who just can't wait. The source code, on the other hand, could cost them a lot.

Fun week for the gaming news sites, that's for sure.

9. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, when it was originally announced September 30th didn't seem that far away, but April 2004 may as well be in the next century! Only ray of sunshine is that Valve are still talking up a holiday season release! But we've heard Valve and Vivendi at odds with each other before, and Vivendi's estimate turned out to be the more accurate :(

Whilst I sympathise with Valve their sloppy security needs sorting out. Wouldn't like to have been Gabe Newell explaining that one to the workforce!

So, when's Doom III coming out then?

10. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have zero sympathy.

If they were stupid enough to put their core development system(s) on PCs connected in any way whatsoever to the internet they're completely untrustworthy ... consider, these guys are writing code that will be on YOUR PC when you play online, seems like they have little idea about security.

Anyone who now buys this game and goes on-line with it is just asking to be hacked, there's no way Valve can ensure that the exploits which those who analyse the source code will discover can be blocked without massive re-writes of all multiplayer code.

Source code on internet-connected PC: utterly crass. :nono:

12. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that guy carries out his threat it could put Valve out of business. Might be a hoax, and I sincerely hope it is, because if it's true and it kills Valve we won't be seeing HL3 that's for sure. Then again, if it is 100% Pre-Gold, what's all this talk of December 03 and April 04 all about eh?

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the original date WAS going to be December 03 then the gold code must have been very close to being ready by now.

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read the details of the hack, Valve was getting attacks for weeks leading up to the actual theft... and did nothing! :eek:

Sure, what the thief did was terrible, but Valve is definitely partially to blame for allowing the source to find its way onto the Net. I think their biggest problem for Valve is the potential of lawsuits from companies whose licensed code got leaked with the HL2 source.

Also, I can't access that "100% pregold" thread without joining the HL2 forum. Can someone give us the gist of the thread?

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    :devil: It's probably Nvidia that have done it to deliberately delay things so that they can get the next generation of their cards out in time :devil:

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Strange, I can read it and I'm not registered there, never heard of the place till now .. anyhow the seems to be down at present. A guy posted that he had the full source to the game, far more than the 30% which Valve claim had been taken. This guy said he was about to release what he claimed was a full "pre-gold" version of the game to prove Valve were lying as to the scale of the theft.

He also mentioned that an E3-timeframe beta was also taken.

Basically, Valve claim only the engine was stolen, the claim from the poster is that a completely playable game is now in the wild.

IIRC that was the claim being made, I can't remember how the thread progressed, I wasn't too insterested to be honest.

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, that could really hurt Valve. I'll believe it when I see it though.