1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news! A visit from Sony!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dub45, May 4, 2002.

1. dub45

dub45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as a victim of the scrolling bars I was finally looking forward to having the TV I paid for when two reps from Sony Irl arrived today with a new board! Let me tell you so as not to keep you in suspense that it did not work and in fact the bars were worse with the new board.

But while one guy (the guy who did the work!) said nothing the other guy was quite annoying.

First thing was I should not have my speakers (I have the sony 500 unit) on the TV. I pointed out to him that they and the TV should be shielded - then he said that having so many things plugged into the TV was liable to cause interference!!!

Shucks how could Sony anticipate that humble folks like us might want to plug in Dvds and videos and satellite tv receivers into their TVs and mess up all their plans!!! Those Scart sockets are not to be used obviously!!!

When I pointed out that the TV was an entertainment center and not just a TV he then moved on and wondered about the quality of the SCART leads I was using!!!! If there was not sufficient shielding this could cause problems!! They mus think that they can fob people off with all sorts of rubbish!!!

I asked him would this board also cure the distortion on the left hand side of the screen and he replied that he was completely unaware of that problem. He later told me that he had never seen the scrolling bars and I was the first to bring it to their attention!! I then was able to tell him that a guy in their technical department had told me he had personally fixed 5.

Anyways even with all that interference causing stuff plugged out and Sonys own 500 unit plugged in with a reasonably expensive svideo to scart lead the bars were still very obvious.

He then said that he would arrange a refund from the shop where I had bought it - I pointed out that I like the tv and all I wanted was a working model but he was not prepared to say that Sony could provide such a thing and in fact seemed quite willing to arrange for a refund for me.

He claimed that Sony had taken up a couple of TVs from their store to test the board on and that everything was fine! One wonders why he did not offer me one of these? He felt that I was of the opinion that there was an epedemic of these televisons and that I would be better off with my money!!

So there! Anyone got any better news?

2. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm lost for words.... this went beyond a joke months ago, but now its gone to a whole new level. :mad:

Are you sure the board that they replaced it with was one of the "new improved" ones, as I was under the impression that they wouldn't be ready for at least 3 weeks.

3. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dub48

Sony sure have a bunch of clowns working for them. They really think we are idiots of first order when it only proves they are the ones!!! I think this calls for call to Sony Ireland MD.

If I get the same remarks, I will lock them up until they fix it !!!!

Regards

fwan

4. dub45

dub45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The information about the boards is very interesting. The same info is also on uk.media home cinema.

I was told that the board had been sent over specially!!!!

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi guys.

I have heard that Sony TVs are excellent. BUT if you get a bad one then you've had it.

In my experience their customer service is crap. And I have heard this from many - "Excellent products, just hope they don't go wrong!".

I have a Sony TV, and its quality. But for my next living room TV (it was a choice between Sony and Philips), this has reminded me that it really should be a Philips one!! (I liked the JVC-blue but you can't get it any more. I digress...)

When will manufacturers learn that after-sales service is often just as important (if not more) than the product itself....

Good luck with your money/new TV. Might I suggest the Philips...?! ;)

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,935
    i've got to agree here, i've spoken to Sony Engineers here in Dublin, and they haven't got a clue!!

They claim not to be able to test NTSC pictures in their lab, cos they don't have a NTSC DVD !!!

Can you believe, i was gob-smacked when he said that!!

As for their description on widescreen switching, well enough said about that the better!!