1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad ghosting on new plasma. Help please.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Messiah, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I've just set up my new plasma (50" Sharp) and have connected my Philips 962 DVD player to the AV box using component cables. Playing a R1 disc the player is outputting an NTSC PS signal and the image is being displayed. However, there is a huge amount of ghosting (or double image).

Example, on Black Hawk Down when the troops are descending out of the chopper (just after the guy falls out) you have a full screen shot of the drop line ready for the next guy to descend. This rope has a very fuzzy double image about 1/4 inch to the right and it is noticeable on all building edges, rooftops etc.

Anyone know why an NTSC PS image is being displayed like this. Haven't tried PAL yet as the player outputs PAL PS which the screen can't handle so will need to do some more fidddling there but for now it is the ghosting that is bugging me.

Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Messiah
    does your new Sharp have ghosting from all sources or is it just your dvd player

hows the TV picture for example, I actually saw the Sharp 43" model and I saw no ghosting, in fact the picture was top draw.

just to add, as its a Pioneer Clone as well, I have not even seen any posts about Ghosting on Pioneer models

good luck

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It appears to be just the DVD but I've not played with it much yet (been out tonight). I'm gonna put the Tosh SD900 back in the rack as the DVD source aS that doesn't do PAL PS so should work fine for R1 and R2. I'll let you know how it goes.

Was a tad disappointed that a component progressive image should be so bad. have to say though that other than that the picture is superb and the blacks are real black and no posterisation like I had the NEC. I do believe I'm gonna be mega chuffed with this one once it's set up right :D

4. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah

If as Party Animal states that the sharp is a Pioneer clone then let me put you're mind to rest.

I've got the 50" HDE married to the Tosh 900 and the pictures (both NTSC and PAL) are superb.... AND that's despite the fact that due to a problem with my component cable it's only connecting via scart at the moment.:D

There is a considerable amount of tweaking you can do to the picture - including configuring for progressive scan (NTSC only on mine) so take your time in setting it up and you should be well rewarded.

If after all you efforts it's still less than perfect I'd get somebody in. At this level of expenditure you should not be expected to compromise.

good luck

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks guys. I've found the problem. I use a component switch box which has 3 inputs and two outputs. The second output is currently a 10m Van Damme component cable running to the projector, although the projector is not connected at the moment. In unplugging these component connections from the switch box I am rewarded with what can only be described as probably the cleanest, nicest picture I have ever seen on any TV (CRT or otherwise). It is just phenomenal.

This Sharp plasma is the mutts nuts, no question and the way it all works with the AV centre etc is just superb.

Thanks again guys.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,m Jealous you Lucky So & So
    have fun

7. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: