Bad Experiences with Steelbooks

Celticbhoy1888

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice on a steelbook I sold on eBay. The buyer messaged me today saying the steelbook was sold "not as described". He says there is a small dent on the bottom edge. I asked for photos which he has sent to me which shows the small dent. He now wants a full refund.

However I am convinced the dent was not there when I posted it to him. Every steelbook I've sold on eBay (70+) have been posted bomb proof. There's no way this happened in the post. I also scan every single inch of them for dings and scratches before I list them on eBay.

Now I'm going to lose out because I've to pay the return postage, then refund him, then there's more seller fees for listing the item again.

There's always the chance he's just sending me his own damaged steelbook and keeping mine at no cost. But what chance have I got proving that if he opened a case with eBay ?

:mad:

I would just put it down to a one off experience and refund.

You could always offer them a part refund. It's worth a try at least and if in the unlikely event they accepted, then it would save you a bit of hassle and you'd still make something out of it.

If it was perfect when you posted it, file a claim with Royal Mail or whoever you used for the damage.

Also, when it arrives, if it's clearly not the same one you sent, If they don't send it by a recorded delivery method, deny ever receiving it. If they send it recorded but it's not the same one, tell eBay. They might not do anything, but if the little git is doing it to a lot of people, they'll be able to spot it and ban them. And of course you should block him from buying anything from you, and spread his eBay account name about so that others can do the same.

Of course, even if your packaging was perfect, someone could have crushed it under a pallet or something and the seller could be telling the truth. Unless it was literally bombproof, Royal mail can find a way to damage it.

It's always worth trying to negotiate. For one thing, it shows willingness to make the buyer happy and avoids negative feedback. I recently sold an old Hornby train as untested and probably needing a service. The buyer wan't happy so I offered a part or full refund. As he knew of a company who could do a service I refunded this cost.

Outcome was that the buyer was happy (gave positive feedback) and I still made some money on the sale. With ebay you do sometimes have to accept the odd disappointment but I reckon it's worth it in the long run to avoid the negative feedback.

Here are the list of bad experiences I have been through at eBay as a seller but its nothing when compared to what I have been through here and at Blu-ray.com

1. IB boxset to US - Lost in post
2. Book of Eli Sp Ed to US - Lost in post
3. World at War to Netherlands - Lost in post
4. Salt UK SB with a 5 mm scratch on the bottom - Had to refund 5 GBP to the buyer that too on my birthday
5. Have 2 Item not received claims now for items shipped within the UK

All these happened despite using printed address labels stuck on multiple sides of the package with my address as undelivered.

Always take photos of the SB from all angles including pics of your package prior to posting. Obtain printed proof of postage receipts at the post office. Also, take photos of incoming parcels prior to opening them as its easy for someone to make absurd claim that the Steelbook was damaged during unboxing.

Btw, here is the money I lost in dealing with Blu-ray since 2006:

AVForums - 40,000 JPY (packages lost in post which was sent when I was in Japan. I always asked buyers to pay upon receipt of their items when I was in Japan as it was difficult to gain trust of people being in a remote location.) + 77 GBP (ongoing dispute)

Blu-ray.com - 30 GBP (Shutter Island FNAC) + 220 EUR

Keeping bad things aside, I always find it safe to deal at eBay as you get some sort of protection from both eBay and PayPal plus plenty of evidence for expediting Royal Mail claiming process.

Do you mind posting their username please as I had a similar experience. The item that I sent was claimed to be damaged and not as advertised. He sent me back a completely different steelbook and also kept the data sheet. I noticed he purchased several of the same steel but I managed to match the steel he sent me to the description of the same item from another seller. He had the cheek to leave me negative feedback.

Am I able to post his user ID so you guys can be cautious with who you are dealing with?

Do you mind posting their username please as I had a similar experience. The item that I sent was claimed to be damaged and not as advertised. He sent me back a completely different steelbook and also kept the data sheet. I noticed he purchased several of the same steel but I managed to match the steel he sent me to the description of the same item from another seller. He had the cheek to leave me negative feedback.

Am I able to post his user ID so you guys can be cautious with who you are dealing with?

Coxy, tell the Mods so they're aware they have their own network.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom