Bad experiences with internet retailers..........

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by oreoboy13, Jan 10, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this would be a useful post for everyone who is about to but a new TV. If ppl could put any bad experiences with internet companies it would provide a really good database.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here we go with the first....

Empire Direct. Very Cheap, Very fast Delivery. Except when it's not in stock... constant chasing, same but useless answer from thier customer dis-service centre.

Don't order unless it shows in stock, and then sometimes if its popular and they only have a few its hit and miss.

Friends have ordered in stock items and they are very pleased with service. I ordered out of stock items. quoted 4 weeks for delivery but took nearer 8 weeks to actually arrive. they billed my credit card day one!

3. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    webelectricals.co.uk took my money quick but delivery was not as promised, then had problems getting faulty TV replaced and still haven't finalled sorted it out after two months.

They ignore emails and make false promises on the phone.

And all they do is buy the stuff from electrocentre.web--host.co.uk and sell it on for a mark up.

I don't buy anything that might break from mailorder now, if you want customer service and to sort out a fault when there is one you have got to do it face to face to get anywhere, on mail order they can hide behind the phone.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire Direct: As the poster above said, never order something when it's not listed as being in stock. I ordered a Sony KV24LS35S when it was out of stock just because it was the best price.

A couple of weeks went by, I still had no idea of what status my order was at, never received any replies to my emails. In the end I finally got through on the phone, and was told that the TV was going to take a another 2 weeks (over 1 month total)...

What's worse of all is that they carged my Credit Card straight away, that's one month before I was going to receive the goods.!!!

I cancelled the order and made them refeund my card the amount back. I was not impressed and will never order anything from them again unless I know it's in stock.

As soon as I cancelled the order I called up QED, which leads me to:

qed-uk.com

called them up as opposed to ordering online as I wanted to make sure they had my item in stock. They did, just as the website said.

It took ages to get through on the phone, I was on hold 20 mins. I've called them three times now and each time has been the same. However once you get through it's fine. I ordered on Monday, and was told instantly that delivery would be on Friday(today). I was also told about all the procedures when something goes wrong.

My TV arrived this morning safe and well, however there was a problem which I had a feeling would happen. The set arrived without the cabinet/stand which I had paid extra for :-(

I called them up and they told me that a stand will be sent out to me, no problems. I did pay £20 more shooping at qed but it was worth it compared to empire direct and terrible delivery times. I just hope they get my cabinet/stand out to me asap

---------------------------------

I've since ordered a VCR and a pair of speakers with qed-uk.com, shopping online this time. My order was taken and my goods were shipped within 24 hours via courier. I will use again!!

unbeatable.co.uk

I orderdered a Teac Reference Hi-fi component system from them just before xmas. It was by far the cheapest price around.

However the item was out of stock and since then my order tracking status reads "waiting for stock from supplier". At least I know, unlike when you shop with empire direct.

It would be nice if unbeatable had a stock status on their website, as you never know whether or not you'll get your goods tomorrow or in 4 weeks. This would definatley put me off from shopping with them again as I would prefer to shop at qed-uk.com where I know my item is ready for dispatch.....

I'd also say that all three of the above are fecking ****e when answering emails.

I've emailed unbeatable asking if a product is in stock and got no reply, a few times now!!

Empire Direct never answered my emails regarding the order I placed with them, which I think is unforgivable considering I'd paid for it already.

I've only emailed qed-uk.com once and got no reply, I'm told they only have once person answering emails and they get thousands a day, apparently.

Shop with Care people

Mark

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd also say that my opinion has now changed about ordering online for cheaper prices, especially electrical retailers.

I would pay the extra money just to get good service and fast delivery. At one point I almost considered going down to my local Curry's and buying my TV, putting it in the car and bringing it home.

Mark

6. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wasn't internet but was mail order. Very briefly, had loads of problems with a Sony TV and eventually the manufacturer replaced the set, even though the retailer would not! (pretty good, as from what I understand your 'contract' is with the retailer, not the manufacturer). Hi-Spek quoted "would you get a new car after 6 months worth of use, of course not" from Customer Services Manager yet when Sony were informed of the problem they replaced within 14 days, no questions asked.

7. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any experiences with this company :-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/

I am reassured on their webpage by the fact they guarantee the goods to be UK Spec items and they also do price matching.

Anyone ordered form this company before ?

Chris

8. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have used Superfi before.I bought some Kef 60's from them.They were the official UK stock and arrived in 2 days.Great service,as they made up the leads as advertised.

9. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,214
    bought a few things from Superfi at their retail shop in Sheffield - happy enough with the service - but this was buying from the shop, rather than online

dean

10. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I ordered a TV and Video from them on the 2nd Dec 2001. The video arrived after 2 days but I am still waiting for the TV after 8 weeks.

Once again they took my money straight away.

I have phoned them at least twice a week and they can never give me an answer as to delivery. The manager always says "yes. it will be here next week", then when I speak to one of his staff members they say,"no, sorry it will be another fortnight". They have NEVER even contacted me once via phone or email.

I have emailed the director of sales and still cant get anywhere. Dont know what to do now - our rental TV went back 2 weeks ago so we have had to buy a portable. This weekend I have emailed Watchdog, Panasonic, and the OFT to inform them of Empiredirect so we will see.

DW

11. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Philips 32PW9616 TV from Empire, but they supplied the wrong rear wireless surround speakers... 3 attempts at replacing the "faulty" speakers and an aborted visit from a Philips engineer later I took a refund as they were unable to get stock of this TV for another 2 months. I ordered an identical set from HiSpek and Empire had indeed supplied the wrong speakers - their loss. It's now taken me 6 weeks for the refund from Empire to arrive in my CC account.

At the same time I bought a Sony DSP-NS900 DVD player from Empire. This has also been refunded 10 days ago and still no sign of the money... I'll give them till Wednesday for it to show up.

Empire are very cheap and when they have it in stock they'll even deliver on a Saturday which is great. However, should you ever need a refund they only pick up on 2 days a week (Mon and Wed in my case for the TV so had to take time off) and will hang on to your refunded money as long as possible. :(

I shan't be using them again. In fact I would only recommend people purchase large items like TV's from bricks & mortar stores, not over the internet.

12. DCB01

DCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JONES OF OAKWOOD

Ordered LG TV week and a bit before Christmas. I was assured was in stock and if I ordered that day deliver company would contact me with delivery date. That was a Thursday, noticed that monies was snatched straight away, but lo and behold no call from deliver Co. Rang them on Friday and was told that promise turns out to be a maybe on delivery and they could only contact delivery company by FAX! Left it until the Monday and told them it was not good enough, where upon the attitude of Jones changed from me being a customer to being a pest for phoning them. On the Tuesday I rang again to be put in contact with a so called supervisor who relayed the same crap about fax's to which I told him that I didn't care whom they used as a delivery Co (Father Xmas inc.) my contract is with them as they are the one's debiting my account and that if I didn't hear anything from him by 17:00hrs I wanted my money back. As you can guess no call was received so I rang and spoke to him the next day and immediately was put on hold, about 3mins later he came back telling me something about delivery but did not finish because I told him I was not interested as he was unable to grasp the mere basics of customer service in that if a customer rings up aggrieved about something you don't forget about him/her and expect them to be all smiles the next day. His attitude towards me became more aggressive and said he would re credit me with MY money (isn't that nice of them!). This did not finally happen until about 2 weeks latter after further phone calls to them with threats of trading standards and seven-day cooling off period's etc. The thing is they operate a discount scheme with the company I work for and literary all the people I have spoken with recommend them. UNLUCKY ? I don't think so, it's just the decease in this country where the customer is definitely NOT king and the only way to show these people that we will take our money where we are treated properly even if that means paying a extra £50. As a foot not received a call from the delivery Co saying they were able to deliver on the Sunday, but being a man to my word I told them not interested.