• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bad experience with Samsung support

snakeeater

Standard Member
I have a 26" Samsung HD Ready LCD with built in freeview. It has a great picture which is sadly outweighed by its flaws.

Ive never been able to get the freeview working at all, not even a weak signal, I wasnt too bothered at first as I use the display primarily for my xbox360 and PC.

However as time has gone on Ive encountered some major screen issues. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen I have a 'backlight bleed' which is really distracting during dark scenes in a movie etc. Crunch time came however when I was watching a DVD, left the room to get a drink, came back in and a red splodge of burned out pixels had appeared right in the midle of the screen! The best way I can describe it is that it looks like a blob of red ink in the middle of the picture!

Anyway I decided that there was too much wrong with the display and sent it off for repair. Two weeks on and not a single call from Samsung and no updates on the online repair tracker at all. Calls to the customer care line result in speaking to agents who struggle to hide the fact that they dont care at all. During the call to them yesterday there was 'dead air' while the agent was reading up the notes on the screen, and I heared another agent laugh in the background shout to another colleague "hahaha that customer just called me a pr*ck!!" - Very professional :eek:

Having had my repair fast tracked 5 days previous I asked the agent what the next stage in the escalation process was. I was told I would have to wait for a call. I explained that the display was only a few months old and that I wanted to speak to a manager as I wasnt happy. The agent refused to escalate my call and when I asked him "so let me get this straight you are refusing to put a manager on the line" he answered "yes I am".

So there you have it, I know LCD's are not without their flaws, but sadly the same can be said about any form of customer care or support for your product. It may be the case that they cant fix the display (after all Im not aware you can fix burned out pixels) and I will have waited two weeks (and counting) for someone to switch it on and say "nah cant fix that authorise a new one".

Has anyone else had similar poor service? I feel really let down by Samsung after shelling out a lot of money and am now left with no way to use my PC, play my xbox, watch my freeview, or watch a DVD.

If I wanted an item with so many flaws I would have bought second hand off ebay :/

Boogie Badman

Established Member
I also have a problem with Samsung's support.

I had an engineer come out and have a look at my r41 as the component connections were not flush with the back panel. He told me that he would have to order some parts and then come back and fix it. This was two months ago.

Everytime I call them they say someone will call me back but as yet no-one has. I thought their customer support was very good but that's not my experience. Guess I won't be buying Samsung again.

snakeeater

Standard Member
I feel the same, I always had a very good impression of samsung and their products but very soon that impression will be lost forever :(

I also have a samsung home theater setup with the floorstanding speakers to accompany the display, however I am getting intermittent crackling and muted sound from the left and right speaker every now and then. Again this product was only bought around January.

monkeylala

Established Member
I bought a DVD950 and found that the remote did not work. Rang customer services 4 times and each time was told someone would ring me back. No calls ever received.

In the end I just sent the remote back with a letter asking for a replacement. They sent me a replacement about a week later.

Not good service IMO.

Prof

Established Member
I had "trouble" getting my Sharp fixed by Sharpserv, it was taking a lot longer than the 2 weeks I was quoted when the set was taken away. I found them to be OK on the phone, but couldn`t give me any answers as to how much longer the repair was going to take. After about 5 weeks I asked for a refund from the vendor, which I eventually got. Sharp - Never again. Perhaps LCD TVs should carry a warning - "Beware, if this product develops a fault, it may take quite a while before you get it repaired". Somehow, I don`t think that manufacturers want us to know about the trouble we may have if we get a fault on our LCDs.

I`m waiting for the new Toshiba 32WLT68, Samsung may have got my business, but not after reading this. I don`t know how good/bad Toshiba are with their aftersales service, but if I find out that it isn`t good before I make the purchase, I`ll keep my money in the bank, thanks.

When will these manufacturers learn ? :rolleyes:

snakeeater

Standard Member
Exactly!

What bothers me is that all companies should have a telephone escalation process if a customer wishes to speak to a manager. This doesnt seem to be the case with Samsung even though I was under the impression that its your right to speak to a manager if you dont feel you are getting satisfaction with your issue.

Samsungs support page says "LIMITLESS SUPPORT - ITS NOT THAT HARD TO IMAGINE!" no its not hard to 'imagine' Samsung, but your clearly not able to actually offer it.

The online fault tracker is a pathetic waste of time too and I could have found out more information about my tv repair if I looked at the underside of my foot :thumbsdow

Prof

Established Member
I feel your pain !

I think Sharp`s recent advertising line was "Suddenly there`s more to see". In the case of my Sharp TV, I suddenly had nothing to see. I didn`t expect an "instant" repair, I am fairly patient, and understand that sometimes parts have to be ordered, faults can be tricky to locate. What I did expect was a certain level of goodwill towards me, the paying customer. If it is an unusual occurence for a manufacturer to be unable to obtain parts for their products within a reasonable time, what`s wrong with supplying the customer with a replacement ? (without having to complain to get it). If, however, lack of spares is common, it would not be cost effective for a manufacturer to keep replacing faulty products, so we can`t expect them to do this, but they shouldn`t expect us to buy them in the first place !

My next LCD purchase will not just take product performance into consideration, I will be checking out aftersales service.

B

Blacksheep1979

When you buy a product yours contract is with the person/shop that sold it to you as such its them that you should give the grief to and expect replacements/refunds from

Prof

Established Member
Blacksheep1979 said:
When you buy a product yours contract is with the person/shop that sold it to you as such its them that you should give the grief to and expect replacements/refunds from

That may be the law, but what happens when an item (such as an LCD TV) is, say, 8 months old ? What is the retailer oblidged to do ? I bet that most of the time the retailer will refer the customer to the manufacturer`s service agent. If the retailer arranges to collect the item, surely they will just pass it onto the service agent, most retailers will not be repairing high-tech items themelves. Going through the retailer may delay the repair further. I suppose that by going back to the retailer, you have more "legal clout", but how much time should you allow the retailer to solve the problem ?

I still reckon that the big manufacturers should be in a position to repair the products that they have made/sold within a resonable time (I think within about 3 weeks is acceptable, but others may disagree). If I knew that whatever LCD TV that I bought would be fixed within 3 weeks, in the event of a fault, I would feel confident in my purchase. Maybe I`m expecting too much.

B

Blacksheep1979

If you got the TV through a supplier that has a large buying power the turnaround/repair time may be less as they don't want to upset a good customer compared to an individual also if a retailer takes to long inreturning a product and you get arsey you are more likely to just be given a new TV - especially if its been a while and you threaten a legal route to recouping your money

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom