1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad experience with forum sponsers - Discount Electrical

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ShinObiWAN, Jul 22, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Original message edited.

Problems forwarded to Spectre.

Thanks for the support so far!

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Whilst i sympathise with you on the malfunctioning pj i would ask who you were talking to in case it was perhaps a new start or a junior who maybe isn't up to speed with consumer rights.

As imo Discount Electrical are a quality company i'm sure they shall sort you out with a refund.

Adrenochrome.

3. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Get in touch with trading standards, if the fail is in the first 7 days you can have a full refund.

Putting it blunkly, i found there after market actions ****.

There is no way i will recomend them, or ever buy anything else from them!

There entire attitude when something goes wrong is "we are a small company and you are not getting your money back NO MATTER WHAT...."

My AE500 developed a fault within 6 wks, to me that is not aceptable and i wanted a replacement (not a repair that could take upto 5 wks).

On the phone all was well, they killed time with the "you need to talk to ben" line, but i was told that a replacement was ok.

When i turned up to return it, there was suddenly no way i was having a replacement - it had to go to panasonic.

Offered to pay more and get a more expensive projector, was told that was fine, 15 mins later there was no way i was having a replacement - it had to go to panasonic.

Siad that i found there attitude **** and i wanted a refund they said no way - it had to go to panasonic.

Spent ~2hr arguing with them, 30mins talking to trading standards...

Eventually, trading standards said that if that YOU NEED TO RETURN IT WITHIN 7 DAYS to get a refund (or replacement).

After that time, you have to acept a repair, and if you finally get a refund they can deduct a percentage of the price to cover your usage.

Mine was returned to panasonic (i dident really have much choice) who replaced the unit within 2 weeks, so all credit to panasonic.

My recomendation to everyone is dont use them.

If i had seen a post like yours (or mine, now i have added it) i would not have ordered my projector from them, so hopefully this will hurt them where it counts in there sales.

4. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PS.
    i spoke to 4 people in total, so i dont think its anything to do with new starters....

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Trading Standars are quite wrong in stipulating a 7-day period.

7 days is for when, under the Distance Selling Regulations, you simply change your mind.

Under the Sale Of Goods Act, if the merchandise isn't as described, fit for purpose, of merchantable quaity etc etc then you are 100% entitled to a refund OR repair at your option. And you have an undefined long time in which to make such a claim. How long depends on the nature of the product and how long it might reasonably be expected to last. Definitely a minimum of a month for something like this, and probably much longer if it went to court.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ShinObiWAN,

I've sent you a PM............

Just as a general comment, please see the following from Spectre in response to a thread from quite some time ago relating to a dispute between a forum member and a forum sponsor which attracted comments from other forum members who were not involved/affected by the dispute.........

Sean G.

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with Ritz, I was angry and still am when I made the post.

I've edited my original posting and will pass this on to the mods in the hope a resolution can be found.

8. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

I truly cannot believe this, I will post a full and frank reply tomorrow. This is unacceptable.

Why did Pansonic replace the machine? Out of the goodness of their hearts? I THINK NOT!

This is grossly misrepresenting the efforts of our small and effective team in obtaining a fair settlement for this particular customer.

As always the facts in this case are not quite as laid out above.

I rest easy knowing that it's 10 times harder to get people to voluntarily write something good about you, than it is for someone who rightly or wrongly has some kind of percieved negative experience with you. In that respect a quick search on these very forums will reveal much more positive than negative feedback.

If you find our service unacceptable then perhaps you have not tried some of our larger competitors for responsiveness, personal service and speed of refund. I had an erroneous PM from a forum member today asking why the DVD player he ordered (not in stock at the company nor likely to be!) was charged to his card and not refunded many weeks after the order was cancelled. This order of course was not with us, but you guys will probably never hear of this 'scandal' because, well, they can afford better lawyers than us!

With the right to critiscise comes the responsibility of rationality and truthfulness of statement and implication.

Sorry to sound sanctimonious but as you can see one persons appaling is another person's responsive, caring, hard lobbied solution.

As you can probably tell I feel quite strongly about this, I'm not prepared to see 'cowboys' screw people whilst honest and caring retailers get reputations ruined by inaccurate and unfair representations of facts.

The way I have chosen to counter these issues is to ask the mods to keep all critical threads open so we can have a full two sided discussion based on the full facts. I feel reasonable people will judge that we have acted in the best possible spirit.

A similar if rather more heated thread occurred some time back, well two actually, both by the same member. In that instance that micro examination of the facts turned a very negative thread into one that actually won us sales :thumbsup:

As always there are two sides to a story.

.........................and this one involved pixels :rolleyes:

Quite why I am answering this thread at 25 past midnight I don't know, dedication i suppose!

Anyway, anyone is quite welcome to take issue with anything I say and I will justify it, anyone who knows anything about how we operate and has had dealings with us I urge you to comment also.

Oh and Kramer. do you not get a lifetime achievement award or something? It's been a long time :hiya:

9. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I used Discount Electrical in Feb for a Panny AE500 and screen and found the service to be excellent. Order delivered to me in less than 24Hrs. No problems since.

Ajax.

10. GreatDane

GreatDane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, like most people [probably], I was reading these posts out of curiosity (as we all need to be careful with our purchases) and I felt compelled to comment. However, not knowing the details, it would be quite wrong for me to comment on the specific problem.

I have ordered many items in the past from a number of retailers and I have had customer service experiences at both ends of the spectrum. Regardless of the background to this post, in my opinion, Ben, the level of committment and concern demonstrated by your post does you great credit and is something not seen very often.

I have never purchased anything from DE before but I will now be taking a look at what you offer for future reference.

Best Wishes :hiya:

11. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  12. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ben,

As always there are two sides to a story.
    .........................and this one involved pixels

NO, it initially involved pixels (at that point it was reasonable for you to say get stuffed, which you did not). When i returned it to you shop there was a long list of faults, EXCLUDING the 2 dead pixles. This was why i could see no reason to not be givern a straight exchange/refund.

Why did Pansonic replace the machine? Out of the goodness of their hearts? I THINK NOT!

No, THEY REPLACED IT BECAUSE IT WAS FAULTY. Simple really isent it?

I spent 1300 quid on something that developed a fault after 100 hours of use, strangely i found this un aceptable.

My post summed up my experiances quite acurately, i read thro my post several times befor hitting the post button.

I came to your shop, in person and I WAS SHOCKED BY THE WAY I WAS TREATED.

I also said at the time of the return that i was not impresed with the level of customer service that i received, i also siad that i would not recomend DE to other people.

I do not see what is wrong with this.

Word of mouth goes both ways, if people are happy they recomend you, if they are not they wont.

someone recomened you, so i used you...

a freind was very impressed my my AE500 and decided to take the plunge, he was goining to use DE, but folling my experiance i told him to use another supplier mentioned on here a lot (begines with N). She did and was very happy the the service (but nothing has gone wrong yet :)).

To all of the pople saying DE are great and my order turned up in X days, you are missing the point realy...

DE WAS great, me and my wife turned up, Ben put up with us for an hour while we asked plebby questions, which he answered fully and clearly... :)

It was only when a problem developed that my experiances changed.

Nigal,

Under the Sale Of Goods Act, if the merchandise isn't as described, fit for purpose, of merchantable quaity etc etc then you are 100% entitled to a refund OR repair at your option. And you have an undefined long time in which to make such a claim. How long depends on the nature of the product and how long it might reasonably be expected to last. Definitely a minimum of a month for something like this, and probably much longer if it went to court.

That was my iunderstanding, hence when i felt i was getting the run-around i quoted the above and said i wanted a refund, not a repair (or a replacement).

As i said, we (DE and myself) both had a long disussion with trading standards who informed my that the rules changed ~ 18 months ago.

When i was back in the office (ie not on a mobile) i checked up on this and was agian told that the rules had chaned.

To give DE crided, they did what trading standards said they had to do.

13. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    also for anyone reading this thread as it now stands, i must point out that the "deleted" portion of ShinObiWAN original message, dident sound very differant from my experiance.

14. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think the answer to this lies in the fact neither ourselves or Panasonic HAD ANY STOCK!

If we did we would have replaced it STRAIGHT AWAY, no HASSLE. As, and I must point this out, we have done for many many customers in the past.

As anyone who has ever dealt with Pansonic will know, stock comes in monthly with little warning.

I still fail to understand how any other retailer could have done anything about that situation!

I still need to clear the full facts up with the members of staff with knowledge of this situation. But I do know this.

The replacement was issued to US by Panasonic and not the Customer after many days of nice, and not so nice pleading with Pansonic. We went to extraordinary lengths to secure a replacement unit (Actually this unit probably came from buffer stock, for which you usually have to either threaten legal action or not to pay them to get access to)

RE the ShinObiWAN situation, a glance over to the other thread reveals that this was a misunderstanding and is now resolved, everyone is happy! (Well relatively)

Anyway, its Sunday and I intend to get some rest and relaxation! Reason being that I am off to Nottingham tommorrow (thats quite a way from where we are :rolleyes: ) because our courier managed to misplace the tuner for a plasma delivered to the customer :suicide: . Becuase this guy, putting it kindly, doesn't feel fully confident in putting the thing together and tuning it in, and that I feel a sense of responsability towards him for the amount of kit he has bought :) I will be doing it for him, for nothing.

Of course if I hadn't have said this then peoples recent experience of our company would be this rather factually dubious thread.

I don't particularly like discussing customers individual details on a discussion forums, but If that's what it takes for the truth to emerge then that is what I will do.

It seems quite strange that long after the original post has been dealt with to satisfaction and amusment/bemusement of both parties we seem to have rather a hijacking going on.

Ah well, you can't please everyone all of the time. Don't know who said that but it's quite true!

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments :hiya: , it is encouraging and we really do try to please everyone. But then everyone has different expectations, I appeal to you to use your better judgement when I post hopefully my final reply tomorrow and we can hopefully see just what the size of this issue that sparked this massive thread is.

May I also point out that I belive in unadulterated free speech (as long as it's responsible) but I know that both manufacturers and other retailers watch these forums extremely closely and are far more litigious than us. Perhaps indicating the reason for the absence of other threads highlighting real, justified and concerning bad service from big and small player alike that I hear so much of from customers.

To put it quite bluntly I know of retailers (and this has been reinforced by the manufacturer) faced with this situation that would just laugh and tell you to phone said company, or take it back and issue a refund, months later, minus massive restock fee and useage fee. Do we ever hear anything about this?

I know it's quite unusual for a retaler to be arguably agressive in refuting claims of bad service. Current thinking indicates I should do the whole "Im genuinely sorry Mr XXX had problems" But I actually feel in this case we have done nothing wrong, and put HUGE amounts of effort into resolving the situation!

You all know me well enough by now, or at least old timers like Kramer and theRitz (Sorry :laugh: ) to know we are genuinely a company that tries to offer the best blend of savage web pricing, extras like pixel checks, and good old high street service. Any one individual with an unjustified grudge who asserts this is not the case better be able to justify that objectively and with reference to other companies in a similar field.

I hate it when it gets all serious like this! I'm off to see if I can afford a H77 :smashin: donations very welcome, paypal is fine :laugh:

15. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree, enuff is enuff :)

I will stop going on about what happened on the day i returned it and concentrate on the rest.

I was happy with the final result - two weeks to sort out the problem was great.

I am also very happy with my projector (although i can still see the vb - curse the bastard that mentioned it!:)).

You were also helpfull on the telephone and very plesant when i visited the shop.

Regards,
    Sean.

16. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

17. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dident want my last post to sound so positive :)

I was getting at the fact that ben himself was very helpfull. But i was not impressed by the other people i dealt with and i would not use DE again, nor would i recomend them.

But, :) like i said my projector WAS replaced within two weeks and i LIKE my projector!

18. rattlesnake

rattlesnake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a quick question for Ben. If he doesn't mind.
    I have notice over the years that a lot of shops are very unwilling to replace faulty products. (I don't mean broken products where the purchaser could be at fault). If a shop does replace the item what options do they have with the returned product? Can they send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement for the shop stock or are they stuck with it. The latter would be a reason for not wanting to exchange it.

Please note this is a general question as I have never bought anything from DE - "although my old AE 100 is in need of an upgrade - any deals!!"

Just curious

Andy