1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad experience .. show me the way!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by hoffa, Jan 14, 2005.

1. hoffa

hoffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am a first time poster here, and I didn't want this to be my first post.

I have been VERY closely following the information about the upcoming AVP700. Well I went to the local dealer here in Waterloo, Ontario. "Soundstage Fine Audio". Well that was an extremely disappointing experience. I walked in and asked if he had heard anything about the product (worth a shot :)). Of course, he hadn’t. So I asked about the AVR300 and if they store did home trials, as I would like to get a feel for the sound and video handling. I am not going to drop close to 3k (cdn) on a piece of high end equipment with out trying it out on my own speakers (B&W CM series) with my own amp (Parasound A52). The owner looked me over and basically said No, because people like you don’t tend to have the right source to do the piece justice. What the hell is that? Then he walked away.

So hopefully if there are some Canadian members on this board, they could suggest where they bought their equipment from? I may be young looking, but never judge a book by its cover.

2. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Outrageous,and I though Canadians were polite.....hope you find another dealer quick

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, if the dealer treats you like that then run -- don't walk -- away and find a different dealer. The Arcam website should help you find another dealer, or at least the Canadian distributor who in turn should be able to help you locate one.

Dean

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would find another dealer, thats an outrageous way to treat a potential customer. What the hell does it matter what source you have, the guy must be an imbecile :mad:

John

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I believe there are a few about.. :rotfl:

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I've had similar treatment from some dealers in the UK over the last 15 or so years. I'm usually dressed in jeans and a punk rock t shirt so they immediately think I'm just there to waste some time. If I'm not going to a dealer I know I now phone first for a chat otherwise I tend to get treated like a piece of dirt.

If you keep trying you will find a dealer that doesn't judge you the moment you walk through the door. It's a shame more people don't make a fuss about this sort of thing. I think it's disgusting behaviour!

7. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was the reason I dressed up a little on picking up my DV79 yesterday. While I've not been refused to be spoken to before, I was looked at a little strangely, and asked the question "are you a student?"

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This sort of behavior reminds me of most of the Dutch Hifi Palaces- arrogant, ignorant morons all of them.
    Which is why I buy where it's cheapest so I can always flog the kit easily.
    Do an effort, you'll find one that's not so strictly commited to Arcam's price politics.
    Also reminds me of a friend of mine who is a farmer, who went to a nearby Mercedes dealer on his clogs and in (clean) overalls and was disregarded by some hah-hah dresssed up teenager salesguy. He contacted Mercedes NL and- lo and behold, the little punk did not work there anymore 3 weeks later.
    This story has nothing to do with hifi kit, but you get my drift.
    Another advice would be complaining at the Canadian rep or Arcam UK and see how they react.
    If they react as moronic you know what to do with your money...

9. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If I would've been adressed like this I'd never would've spend my money in the place...where's your dignity man dressing up and all...

10. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I only dressed up a little. Smart casual, decent pair of chino's and a shirt. Rather than my normal weekend clothes of combats and tatty shirt/jumper. It probably wouldn't have mattered in the place where I went anyway, but still.....

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Aha, I see the problem, the typical no-money student (grin).
    Try flashing a key ring with BMW keys next time...
    Good luck on your DV79, a smashing player albeit without SACD option, a format that's already in its death struggle anyways...

12. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try that next time.

Of course I'll need a BMW first..... Don't suppose you have one to "lend" me? :smashin:

Yes, I am liking my new DVD player.

13. SFA

SFA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the person Hoffa spoke to at Soundstage, and let me assure you the events did not occur exactly as he indicates. Discrimination based on age, appearance,wealth or even budget is not tolerated at Soundstage. We are willing to go the extra mile before and after the sale for each one of our customers.

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Could you elaborate then, exactly how did it happen?

15. blitzschnell

blitzschnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm living in Quebec city, and I must say that local dealer (rotac) does a great job ! they offer me to do a 1 weekend trial of a 200, and they never been reluctant to do me demos.

May be it's time for you to take a winter break in Quebec ...

16. hoffa

hoffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SFA: Yeah well what was with that attidude then? I had asked some simple questions about an upcoming product and then about the AVR300. You said implied that a home demo was useless because I "wouldn't have had the right source to do it justice". I remember that line correctly. Anyways, you lost me as a customer and many of my friends who had previously shopped with you.

I decided on the Rotel RSP 1068 + a Parasound A52 to mate with my B&W CMs. Too bad, I had heard so much good feedback withre respect to the Arcams.

17. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    This has nothing to do with Arcam as a product but everything to do with what sounds like very poor service from someone selling their product. Without actually being there I can't vouch for exactly what happened or what was said but I certainly don't think Arcam can be blamed. There are a lot of good dealers out there who have a lot of patience and knowledge and are willing to give both, beware of tarring them all with the same brush as I would take great offence at that.

18. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I don't think Hoffa was having a dig at Arcam was he? It comes across to me that he means his local Arcam dealer was poor so he chose to shop elsewhere.

If I stopped buying kit made by companies that sometimes sell through stuck up, judgmental dealers I'd end up having to build my own hifi!

19. hoffa

hoffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer: Sorry, I did not mean to imply that Arcam was bad in any way shape or form. Just have my beef with the dealer, which I just felt like venting about on the day in question. I DO still really want to see this AVP700, but since I purchased the Rotel (mostly due to the fact that it is currently available - and from a local dealer) it would be for purely interest's sake (looks like an awesome pre/proc).

Anyways, what's done is done, I felt slighted, it may have not been intentional, it may have been, it does not really matter. The way I felt I was treated was not up to the same level customer service that I am used to with other dealers. Now lets get back to talking about more fun things! :thumbsup:

20. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I have asked Arcam about the AVP700 and they have stated that it is still in the development stages and is at least a couple of months away.

21. joycest

joycest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been a very satisfied customer of Soundstage for at least 15 years. In all those years I have found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I NEVER worry about the way I am dressed so I regularly show up in jeans. It's not a store where they will just sell you a product without knowing something about your system and musical tastes. They strive to understand how the equipment you are considering will work in the context of your system. They are educators as well trying to help you get the order of purchases right. If you were a first time visitor and your first request was to borrow equipment, perhaps you need to spend more time with them so they can understand your needs. Do yourself a favour and give them another try.