Bad build quality? just me? or universal? - eg eject button

ayveeluvva

Hello all!

First post, be gentle :) I've just invested in the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon and wondered if you helpful peeps can compare, confirm or deny a few things?? I'm a stickler for quality as I'm sure many of you are. (especially when I've just spent 130 quid on a glorified USB drive!)

1st observation: It's how to describe this, but the eject button is VERY "light with no click / feedback" compared to the main 360 itself? eg it just feels "squishy" without the nice CLICK and travel you get on the 360 - wondering if this is normal and everyone else's is the same?

2nd observation: the power plug into the drive unit is very wobbly - anyone else?

3rd observation: it DOES add noise to the equation - with head seeks and disc spinning - confused that some people say it's silent is all - everyone else?

thanks all, other than this, seems great (had to use my own USB cable though being too short!!) and can't wait for this software update soon!

Si.

AML

The button on mine is also "squishy" and doesnt click to open/close.

I bet all the drives are like that.

I dont think the build quality is all that bad, but for $200 what do u expect?

Its still by far the cheapest HD DVD drive/player you can get just now.

By the way it also works with a PC so u dont even need a 360 to watch HD DVDs.

(to run it on a PC you need to download a special driver for it and instal it, then use software for playback. "Power DVD 7.3" works best. Also "Any DVD HD" if your PC/monitor isnt HDCP comliant. You also need a decent PC with a fast CPU and a decent card to watch movies.)

Noise wise, my drive only makes minimal noises when reading a disc.

Is yours really noisy all the time?

If so then there could be a problem with it.

ayveeluvva

Hi AML,

thanks for checking, yes I reckon the majority if not all are like that! surprising lack of response tho! What about the power cable? :)

Sadly my PC isn't up to the task of running HD stuff!

RE the noise, its not REALLY noisy at all, just regular disc accessing noises, won't detract from anything when the volumes up! :)

thanks, Si.

mark1000

Distinguished Member
Hello all!

First post, be gentle :) I've just invested in the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon and wondered if you helpful peeps can compare, confirm or deny a few things?? I'm a stickler for quality as I'm sure many of you are. (especially when I've just spent 130 quid on a glorified USB drive!)

1st observation: It's how to describe this, but the eject button is VERY "light with no click / feedback" compared to the main 360 itself? eg it just feels "squishy" without the nice CLICK and travel you get on the 360 - wondering if this is normal and everyone else's is the same?

2nd observation: the power plug into the drive unit is very wobbly - anyone else?

3rd observation: it DOES add noise to the equation - with head seeks and disc spinning - confused that some people say it's silent is all - everyone else?

thanks all, other than this, seems great (had to use my own USB cable though being too short!!) and can't wait for this software update soon!

Si.

My eject button feels more like a touch sensitive button, not really squishy.

Drive noise is almost silent, but 360 noise overwhelms it though.

Power lead is quite solid.

Disk tray is really slow though.

Mark.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I've had experience with 3 Drives:

1st one had a problem with the eject button, I couldn't 'feel' the click if that makes any sense and you had to press hard with considerable force whereas the other two had almost touch sensitive buttons. They all had what I would call normal operation noise.

F

Fvet

nobody ever said the drive was silent.
but it is considerably quieter than the internal drive (except possibly the newest ones) so lots of people use it to play dvds instead of using the internal one.

ayveeluvva

We've established that the eject button is *almost* touch sensitive in feel, and has a very slight short soft feedback then!

Noise wise - this one is either almost silent in operation OR whining away quite intrusively with a high pitched whine (which most people probably can't hear)

Can't win eh. - think i'll leave it for nearly a year then take it back to argos and get it swapped with the most modern iteration

Oh and now my xbox live doesnt sign in automatically (got the wireless adapter on the back of the HD drive now) but did initially!

Si.

Buckster

Distinguished Member
interesting - as the eject button my 360 is most definately got a solid click to it as you press it .... :)

Mark.

ayveeluvva

Grrr :) are you talking about the 360 itself or the drive

mine:

360 - solid click button
HD drive - soft touch button

Si

ukkev2000

LOL the HDDVD drive eject button is very classy with very slight movement where as the 360 has a clunky eject button. The HDDVD drive takes a light touch.

Silent? How can you rotate a disc and move heads silently? You can't, all you can do is put it in a heavy sound-proofed box. It's an accessory for a games console, not made by Quad and costing £1000 :rolleyes:

And as has been mentioned, do a quick google for the price of a USB HD-DVD drive. Let me know how you get on..

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Well I just got my HD-DVD drive today and I can't eject the disc now.

Stuck:mad:

Think I've tried pressing it with various degrees of strength but so far, nada:thumbsdow

Edit: Sorted

Had to cut all the power and reboot.

Eject button needs pampering it seems if it's to work properly.:rolleyes:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
The whole eject system is a shambles, imo.

My other posts explains the problems I'm having but I think M$ have realy screwed up on this one. Why oh why can you only eject the HD-DVD drive from the dashboard when it's empy and not when there's a disc in it:nono:

Kainz

Si.

My recently purchased drive falls into No.1 & 2, but it doesn't really bother me as my drive sits on my desk stationary, so the power lead will hardly ever be touched. The button is just a touch sensitive one, with a softer microswitch behind it I'd guess.

As for No.3, my drive is very quiet, alongside my quiet launch day 360 too.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom