Bad Boys 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the Review Cas; one I need to visit soon, but probably as a rental rather than a purchase :)

I love action movies (especially those with a bit of comedy thrown in), but for some reason, I just never really liked this movie.

Great review thanks, love both the films, this one for the fact that Tea Leoni is in it, now Madam Secretary!

BB1 & 2 are 2 of my favourite movies - ordered!! Native 4K as well :smashin:

Both films are great - the archetypal Simpson/Bruckheimer movies. Circa BB2 is when Bay began to get super self-indulgent, making his films ridiculously/neeedlessly over-long - getting pretensions that all of his works have to be action epic.

I have a Top5 Action movie list, that I automatically rebuy in every format down the years :-

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Armageddon
5. Bad Boys

Unfortunately having picked up the remastered double Blu-Ray set last year, I am going to wait until these reduce for 4K versions.

Bad boys....23 years old!! Wow! I feel old all of a sudden

I have a Top5 Action movie list, that I automatically rebuy in every format down the years :-

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Armageddon
5. Bad Boys

Unfortunately having picked up the remastered double Blu-Ray set last year, I am going to wait until these reduce for 4K versions.

Some classics there, they don’t do action like they used to!!

Some classics there, they don’t do action like they used to!!
The thing with that list is, I find them all so well-balanced, and each a unique type of action concept. Outside of the Top5 everything starts getting derivative. Sure, I think for example Lethal Weapon is a better movie than BBs, but because of the tone, flash and humour of BBs, I come back to it the most as an entertaining watch I never get tired of.

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Armageddon
5. Bad Boys

All of those would be day one buys for me.

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Armageddon
5. Bad Boys

Armageddon 4K with Dolby Atmos - now there would be a thing! :thumbsup:

John Wick? :)
I think it would top an action sub-genre of Gun-Fu quite easily. Some may argue it needs a bit more seasoning, being relatively new. Unfortunately, it's also my least favourite type of sub-genre, good as that was.

All of those would be day one buys for me.
Die Hard is in 4K on iTunes, but of course then you get the usual iTunes 5.1 Soundtrack. Don't know if it is 4K on Amazon Prime as seems they've changed the Website (Yet Again) & removed the 4K line - I scrolled down to the very bottom twice & no sign. Will have to check the app.
EDIT: on the app I tracked down the 4K Series link, but no sign of one for films - thinking back, I don't think I've searched for 4K films on Prime, so no idea if they do offer them

Last edited:
Thanks Cas as always great work. Was still in School when this was released so Watched this few years after its original release. I grew up watching the fresh prince in the early 2000's which i loved . The transition to film for Will Smith was not as good as i thought it would be . Martin Lawrence was just being Martin Lawrence annoying. only like him in Life with Eddie Murphy

Having said all that this was not a bad film had some decent humour and some very good action scenes. Its a 6 for me

The thing with that list is, I find them all so well-balanced, and each a unique type of action concept. Outside of the Top5 everything starts getting derivative. Sure, I think for example Lethal Weapon is a better movie than BBs, but because of the tone, flash and humour of BBs, I come back to it the most as an entertaining watch I never get tired of.

Funny, I actually started to type “some classic there, but can’t believe you missed lethal weapon!” :rotfl:

Thanks Cas as always great work. Was still in School when this was released so Watched this few years after its original release. I grew up watching the fresh prince in the early 2000's which i loved . The transition to film for Will Smith was not as good as i thought it would be . Martin Lawrence was just being Martin Lawrence annoying. only like him in Life with Eddie Murphy

Having said all that this was not a bad film had some decent humour and some very good action scenes. Its a 6 for me

Will smith did some excellent stuff in his earlier years....i robot, bad boys, Independence Day, I am legend, Ali. The problem was that he started to get too serious with his roles having lost out for a deserved Oscar for Ali. He should have stuck to his action genre as he was leading man for a while.

Couldn't resist :D

Look forward to getting my hands on this. The movie that proves that sometimes style>substance.

Will smith did some excellent stuff in his earlier years....i robot, bad boys, Independence Day, I am legend, Ali. The problem was that he started to get too serious with his roles having lost out for a deserved Oscar for Ali. He should have stuck to his action genre as he was leading man for a while.
I robot I am legend I liked both films you have mentioned also hitch and his best the pursuit of happiness the men.in.black films I have watched them few times over.

Will Smith is a decent actor with some screen presence. He has had opportunities to appear and star in high budget films with good writing and good film concepts like I robot and I am legend men in black. So He Just fits in without ruining the film.

I prefer vin diesel and Dwayne Johnson. They just have that screen presence

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Armageddon
5. Bad Boys

Wow that is nothing like my top 5 action films...:D

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Armageddon
5. Bad Boys

...personally, I'd swap out Bad Boys for The Rock!

Good film and very much of its time but without feeling so dated due to the snappy dialogue. Good humour can really save something from feeling too far away from the now and pull you in.
I still love Enemy of the State as a favourite Will Smith turn which showed he had a few more levels in him.

Cas I usually agree with you, but no way is this a 10 for picture quality. I thought it was Blu Ray standard to be honest. Colours also seemed way off, although I know that’s partly the look of the film.

I also thought the sound was so so.

Disappointing UHD for me, possibly my worst buy (out of around 50) so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom