bad boys 2 dts or dolby 5.1 & what are these are these superbits like?

7 of 9

Standard Member
Reaction score
i asked this question recantly but didn't get much of a useful answer, whitch version of bad boy 2 shall i get the original special edition or the superbit as i have read that the dts soundtrack on the superbit version is faulty or none or not as much bass as the dolby 5.1 soundtrack i read this info on: dvd debate website and dvd compare website: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4394 i just want the best a/v.

what is spiderman superbit like, is the a/v better than the original editon or not as i have read on lot of web sites it is a lot better and i was thinking about buying the region 3 superbit deluxe version from cd wow at £8.99.

what about spiderman 2 and is the a/v better than the 2 disk original spectial editon.

what is tears of the sun sperbit like and is the a/v better than the original version?

and in the review of fifth element ultimate editon you say the picture is better than original superbit but you don't say how, so in what way is it better.

i am using a 28 inch wide screen tv connected by rgb scart to a tosiba 220 budget dvd player.

thanks from 7 of 9

there was an article reviewing the various versions of the Fifth Element on DVD Debate except I cannot access their website right now. Like you I don't have a fancy telly and I'm perfectly happy with my region 2 special edition of the Fifth Element which happens to have a full Bit rate DTS soundtrack compared to the half bit rate DTS of the new R1 ultimate edition and the Superbit.

Don't quote me on this but I think the picture of the new ultimate edition is supposed to be the same transfer as the Superbit.

i do not have the uk region 2 special editon, and from what i have read about i will not be geting it because the picure is'nt as good as the superbit.

can some more people please answer my questions

thanks from 7 of 9

west said:
there was an article reviewing the various versions of the Fifth Element on DVD Debate except I cannot access their website right now.

DVD Debate no longer exists...I believe there's more coming for AVF in terms of DVD news so there'll be no need to look elsewhere anyway:)

7 of 9, can I ask what you're viewing your DVDs on. Player and TV/Projector, whatever?

Pauley ,

He said he's watching his DVDs on a 28 inch television which is why I mentioned the region 2 special edition. I agree the Superbit picture is better from the screen shots I have seen but would he be able to tell the difference on a 28" television? For me my R2 SE is fantastic & until I improve to a PJ / plasma screen it's good enough for me ...and the sound ROCKS :devil:

He said he's watching his DVDs on a 28 inch television

Sorry - didn't notice that. :rolleyes:

Well then the answer is simple. As West says, you're simply not going to notice a jot of difference on a 28" screen, only when you get into projectorland are you likely to notice improvements, and even then subtle, rather than dramatic ones.

ok, if in your opions i will not see a difference with superbits then will i hear some differences with dts soundtracks and will they be better.

is it true what i said i have read about the dts soundrack on the superbit version of bad boys 2.

and are dts soundtracks better on the other superbits i said.

and what about the differences in the picture quaility between fith element ultimate editon and the region one superbit, what are they e.g. is it sharper, better colour, better black level what is the difference that makes it better.

thanks from 7 of 9

With regrard to the Fifth Element, if you have a look in the DVD Reviews, I believe Sigismund reviewed it and mentioned the Ultimate Edition has a slightly better picture than the original superbit version.

I've got the original superbit and the R2 2 disc edition - and the R2 picture is not in the same league as the superbit. If you choose the R1 Superbit or Ultimate you'll be very very happy.

As for Bad Boys 2 - can't comment - hated the movie !

There are a million searches you can do on here for the DTS vs DD thing. It's been flogged to death to the point of tedium.

For me it isn't an issue. If a movie is good and involving then I forget about the soundtrack within minutes of watching. The first criterion should be - is this a good movie?

I'm playing my movies through very good quality kit and when I have done an A-B comparison, I have found that sometimes DTS can have a little more bass, sometimes DD has a tighter, more controlled bottom end. Sometimes DD is slightly more open and spacious sounding, sometimes it's DTS. But for the vast majority of the time there is a hair's breadth of difference between the two. Barely noticeable.

If there are differences between the two that doesn't necessarily mean that one is inferior to the other, it simply means that they're different.

I tried a little experiment a few weeks ago that I'd been meaning to try for ages with the fiancee of a friend of mine. He is a real pain-in-the-arse DTS fan boy - £50 for a disc from Japan and all that crap. Can't seem to get it through his head though, that the £120 DVD/amp/speaker/sub package that he is playing his discs through sounds like a fart in a wind tunnel and will not show either sound format off to their advantage.

But this guy just sticks his head in the sand and maintains that you don't need to spend loads of money to get top-quality sound. Let me repeat - that's £120 for a DVD/amp/speakers and sub package, and he thinks he needs to go no further as long as he's feeding it DTS discs. :rolleyes:

I brought him round to my place and played him a succession of discs with the display on my amp covered up so he couldn't see what sound format was selected. First of all his jaw hit the ground when he heard the opening Fox fanfare on a disc, let alone what was to come. It was the first time he had heard decent kit. Some of the demo clips I selected literally startled him with the power of the sound. I think he realises £120 isn't the ceiling anymore.

But I had one question each time for all 8 clips - "What do you think it is? DD or DTS?"

After that I asked which did he think were the best sounding clips, so he (predictably) instantly rattled off the 3 that he'd named as DTS clips.

Red face time. Out of 8 guesses where he had a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer by guesswork alone, he scored 0. Sweet! :) The 3 clips he'd named as DTS were all DD. He then started to bluster, back and fill with mutterings of bigger speakers...deceptive...must have tweaked something...etc...

So I challenged him to the same test on his own kit with discs of my choice that he would be hearing for the first time. He declined. :cool:

It simply isn't worth worrying about - just enjoy the movie. DD and DTS are both fine sound systems and if the movie is good you won't be thinking about the sound after a while.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom