Bad Blu-ray judder Samsung 40" D6100

julius02

Standard Member
Hi there. Please could someone shed some light on this issue I am experiencing; it is driving me up the wall.
Basically since having this TV (2 years now) I have not been pleased with the motion and random glitches it produces when watching various sources such as WD media player, sky HD box and blu-ray.
I came to the conclusion that the best setting is to reduce the noise levels down to low or off and the motion to “clear”. This has worked very well on my sky HD box and results in pretty much no judder.
However I popped Avatar into the blu-ray player the other week and could not believe how much it juddered – it was just unbearable; this was using the clear setting and yes 24p was enabled on the blu-ray player.
Anyway since then I have gone on a mission trying various blu-ray players and trying to get to the root of the problem.
I have tried blu-ray players from Samsung (awful judder), pioneer (random glitches every 10 mins or so) and Sony which also glitches every 10mins.
I have tried various different hdmi cables, gold plated, v1.3, v1.4, ones made by Sony & Hitachi and also cheap ones from Amazon.
I have even taken the film to watch on my old Sony LED (40EX703) using a Samsung blu-ray player in the spare room – this plays it back perfectly.

I have tried adjusting the motion settings on the Samsung to custom using every number combination possible – still glitches. I have tried setting it to off and also using the game mode but it still glitches. I have turned all special effects off such as noise reduction, edge enhancement, and contrast adjuster – still judders.
I have tried other disks - it still glitches on them.
This is driving me crazy as I pay good money for the blu-rays and also my TV setup and I would like to watch without all these shoddy glitches.
I have to confess I have always been a Sony TV person in the past and thought I would try the Samsung – I wish I hadn't now, I have never seen such judder/ glitching before and I am amazed that Samsung can sell TV's like this.
There is one setting that does seem to stop the judder/ random glitches and thats setting the blu-ray player to output at 1080 60hz – if I set motion to “clear” too this removes the glitches I would say completely however this does come at a cost – in general the picture is not so smooth, especially on panning shots – I'm guessing this is because it isn't 24p.
Is anyone else having such issues and could you shed any light on this?
My partner is beginning to think I have an obsession with Avatar where I keep trying all these different scenarios lol.

Silverblack

Have you tried judder reduction at 10 and blur on 5 ??

julius02

Standard Member
I will try tonight. I have tried so many combinations now that my brain is just fuzzy lol.
Do you mean with the 24p mode on?
Like I said I am using it in 60hz at the mo which seems judder/frame drop free apart from the obvious tecline judder.

Silverblack

I will try tonight. I have tried so many combinations now that my brain is just fuzzy lol.
Do you mean with the 24p mode on?
Like I said I am using it in 60hz at the mo which seems judder/frame drop free apart from the obvious tecline judder.
For both really, initially that's the motion plus setting i would use for general tv viewing. And for hd it would be 1080p 24hz, screen format on the tv would be set to screen fit and the viewing mode would be movie or whatever mode is to your liking.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Have you tried updating the firmware for your TV? Might be worth checking the Samsung website to see if there is a firmware update for your TV.

julius02

Standard Member
Tried judder @ 10 and Blur 5 in 24p mode and still glitches every few minutes like its dropping a frame.
When I set the output to 60hz I get no judder using either motion off or custom 10 & 5
Surely there must be something wrong with how it is handling 24p content especially if it is doing it with game mode on too...

Just means I can't have 24p mode on which is just ridiculous!!
I have checked the firmware and there is one I can upgrade to released last month... I will try this tonight and report back. Interestingly it doesn't list the changes tho in this new version.

Could it be that the bluray players I am trying are not adequate enough and that I need to get a more expensive/ better one?
Perhaps the higher end Pioneer LX55 or Oppo 103 which have the qdeo processor?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I have checked the firmware and there is one I can upgrade to released last month... I will try this tonight and report back. Interestingly it doesn't list the changes tho in this new version.

Could it be that the bluray players I am trying are not adequate enough and that I need to get a more expensive/ better one?
Perhaps the higher end Pioneer LX55 or Oppo 103 which have the qdeo processor?
No, I'm 99.9% sure that the problem is with your TV as you said that you've connected your Blu-ray players to your old Sony 40EX70 & they played back fine, therefore problem isn't with the players & getting new more expensive players won't make any difference.

Have you ever upgraded the firmware on your TV since getting it? Hopefully it's just a case that the TV initially shipped with poor firmware, & Samsung has subsequently improved the judder in subsequent firmwares.

julius02

Standard Member
when i have tried these other players, i have used the same hdmi cable too just to keep it a fair test.
yes i have updated a couple of times in the past but this will be the first time in probably about a year.
i just hope it is fixed. this is frustrating.

julius02

Standard Member
Ok I upgraded the firmware last night - there is no mentionof fixes/ purpose of upgrade. After testing everything on the TV it seems the only improvement is the implementation of itv player, 4od etc in the smarthub.
Tried again with different motion settings using this new firmware; judder still happens every few minutes or so.
Just cannot explain it and to be honest I am getting reallyp****d off with the TV
Is this a standard thing with Samsung TV's and bluray??
]I think one last thing i am going to try is a Chord company silver plus hdmi cable... i have been reading they help with judder. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

hippo99

Distinguished Member
If you want true 24p motion, you should try changing to movie mode & switching off ALL of the processing options. It could just be that the software for the processing is just no good.

julius02

Standard Member
I have tried audioquest pearl hdmi and also chord company super shield high speed hdmi and both still have the judder.
I have the tv in cinema/movie mode.
Basically the tv is at fault! How rediculus I cannot watch 24p without judder. If I put in 60hz with motion off then that is my best solution.
I phoned richer sounds and spoke to a guy and explained my problem; he said all tv's have 24p judder and that's normal.
I said I understood 24p has judder but I am seeing it all the time like every 5 mins through a film.
I have seen judder in the cinema before but again like I said not every bloody 5 mins lol.
I just think samsung have really let themselves down with motion as clearly there is a bug using 24p sources

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom