1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Blanks or Aspect ratio issues with DVD-R??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by calibos, Feb 13, 2005.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just burned my first 'adless' playlists to DVD-R with custom menu etc and the disc won't play.

This is my first ever Dub to DVD-R since I got the Tosh32 last week. I've a few things recorded to the HDD but this was the first time I had enough episodes to do the Dub I wanted.

Compat. was set to mode I
    Bitrate of original titles to HDD and for the DVD-Rs was 6.0 DDII so I presume that the Tosh 'Always' defaults to a highspeed Dub to the write speed limits of your media unless you actually select a rate conversion. ie In DVD creation I never got the option to select High-Speed. The Dub took about 1hr all in for 88min of material though I did a write test because it was recommended due to WS ratio problems. Was this a high speed dub?

Anyway I discovered that while my ad break edits for Smallville on E4 the other night were a nightmare due to the logo fade in/out the ratio remained 16:9 throughout. On 24 (2 episodes of which I was trying to dub tonight) on sky however, while the ample black frames between programme and advert fade ins/outs made for very nice edits the fact that there was switching from 4:3 to 16:9 at the same time may have caused problems.

In the creation menu I set ratio from original to 16:9 and I thought this had solved it and the write checks and disc creation seemed to go fine. Very disappointed then when neither the Tosh, my PC or any other DVD player in the house can read it.

So is this down to bad media (5 pack of Mitsubishi blanks I picked up with the Tosh), Aspect Ratio problems or something else?

I fully intend ordering spindles of the forums recommended blank discs but I had my fingers crossed that the Mitsubishis would work.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my problem lads :)

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Keith,

Is it possible that you didn't finalise the disc?

The easiest way to make a DVD-R is to use the "DVD-Video Creation" method (page 122 of the manual). This does a high speed dub followed by finalising the disc.

If you used the "Dub Selected Items" method (pg 108), this will be a high speed dub, but it doesn't do the finalise step. You would then need to run the "DVD-Video finalizing process" (pg 132).

It takes just under half an hour to do a high speed dub of a full disc (and your 88 mins at 6.0 would be just about full). If you do the write test it takes twice as long.. as it does a full test write then the real one. So yes, you got a high speed dub.

If you did finalise, or use "DVD-video creation", then the problem could be the media. If you set the aspect to 16:9, aspect should not be a problem. Even if you had a 4:3 frame in there, it would mark it as 16:9 and be happy with it (it would look funny to view, but if it was just a black frame it wouldn't matter).

Mark

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    And one more thing... all the dubs are high speed unless you select a "rate conversion dub". This is a separate procedure (p112)

Mark

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, I used Dvd creation and it did finalise. I was just worried about the widescreen issue after I got the window popup mentioning something about aspect ratios and recommending a write test. I knew from reading threads here that DVD-R's didn't like different ratios on the same disc and that setting Original to 16:9 would do as I thought, and as you said above, ie. tell the disc to display everything as 16:9 and that the black 4:3 frames would just look 'short and fat' :D . I knew something was up when the disc write finished and the loading icon flashed on screen for a few minutes and my suspicions where confirmed when the disc 'cannot be read' message appeared.

I really just wanted to rule out any issues other than crappy blanks before I gave them away.

I just wasn't sure about the high speed dubs because there was no mention of highspeed dubs in the 'Dvd Creation' process and there was no mention of disc menu creation or finalising in the High speed dub section of the manual.

Thanks for clearing all that up Mark. Getting an order in at SVP is now a top priority! :D

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    One thing to note: With DVD-RW discs, I always get an error after finalising that says something like "cannot read disc".... but if I eject the disc and put it back in, then it is OK. I never get this with DVD-R, and as you can't play it anywhere this isn't your problem, but just something else to look out for!

Make sure you get some proven -RWs discs (like the TDK 2X) as well as -Rs... the -RWs are great for debugging problems without wasting discs...

Mark

Mark