1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad advice?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 21, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    I have been shopping around for a new display and have been visiting some of the AV stores that have a reputation for giving better sales advice than some of the big chains.

However, I have been surprised by some of the “advice” that these sales people have given to myself and other shoppers. I am not shocked by sales people in certain chains telling people that they need to refill their plasma with gas every 5 years but I expected more from some of these high end retailers.

One common theme has been pushing people away from plasma’s and toward more expensive LCD with advice such as plasmas have a short screen life, commonly get screen burn, flicker because they use an A/C current and their technology is years behind large screen LCD TVs (which apparently have been available in Japan for more than 20 years.). I noticed that to emphasise this one store had a wall of plasmas with one large LCD. The LCD was displaying Monsters Inc DVD (looked very good) while all the plasmas were displaying a Sky feed (all looked somewhat suspect). The LCD had been placed next to the Panny 5 series 37” and 42” which is known to have a flicker problem.

I suppose that the people on these forums are better informed than the average punter but sometimes I have been so shocked by some of the advice I have over-heard given to other potential buyers that I have felt like jumping in.

What is the worst advice that you have over-heard/been given?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Speaking from personal experience I often have to correct customers about LCD/Plasma Technology at the end of the day salesmen are often far more interested in the customer waleet than the product, its a fact of life!!! Also selling TV/Displays doesn't pay well so there are alot of people selling it that really dont care about it vey much!!!!

3. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Some of the worst advise I have been given is that Panasonic are the best quality product on the market. This maybe a personal thing but I do not agree with that. i have nothing but problems with my Pansonic TV. And have been hunting around this forum beacuse I fancy a large plasma unit.

Another piece of bad advise I was given many years ago was that "quality of cables didn't matter, at the end of the day it is just wire". And we all know how wrong that is.

Horny dragon I may be in your store at the weekend drooling all over the nice equipment, maybe the other part of the store with the more expensive stuff, if you know what I mean, so keep a rag handy:D
    Now where did I put that five and half grand????