Backyard Outdoor Theater Setup (head scratcher) Yamaha RX-A2020

Chazmo55

Novice Member
Backyard Outdoor Theater Setup (head scratcher) Yamaha RX-A2020

Hi this is my first post and I want to make sure I am not overlooking something. Have a small budget, so I built a backyard theater with a used overhead screen from local school surplus and mounted it on my detached shop. Have a Yamaha RX-A2020 that I picked up off craigslist. What I want to do is use the Zone 1 on a receiver for the backyard with 5.1 and Zone 2 in my shop for a couple of overhead speakers. Have a TV in the shop corner I want to use the overhead speakers for the TV sound through the power amp in the receiver. However, when I try to set up the RX-A2020 it will not allow me to play TV HDMI sound through the Zone 2 analog speaker connection. Is there a workaround or should I shop for a newer receiver? I think a newer receiver will let me do what I am trying to do, like a RX-A1050. Thoughts? Hopefully I have provided enough information to describe the problem set.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The Zone 2 HDMI allows you to connect to another TV for video and audio. The Zone 2 analogue needs a separate amp to work as it is a fixed output.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The A2020 predates Yamaha fascilitating the conveyance of HDMI sourced audio to a second audio zone. Yea, the A1050 would allow this though.

Note that if using the AV receiver itself to power the zone 2 speakers then you'd lose the ability to drive 2 speakers in the main room depending upon how many speakers you have in that main room? Both the A2020 and the A1050 will automatically reassign the associated amplification from the main room to the second zone if and when you engage the second zone. This means that you can regain the use of all your speakers in the main room if and when you disengage the second audio zone.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom