• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Backup software - options?

thepharcyde

Established Member
I used to have a image file of my old HTPC based on MCE2005 using Norton Ghost. My version is no longer supported in Vista.

What software is out there that you recommend. I basically want to put a CD in the drive which will then pull the backup from one of my backup hardrives incase I am unable to get into the Windows environment to restore that way

Thank you :smashin:

thepharcyde

Established Member
What version of Vista are you running? I ask as Vista ultimate has imaging built in to the OS. it's in the backup utility

I do yes, just gone into it now is it "complete PC backup"? thx :thumbsup:

wkc

Standard Member
Definitely Acronis TrueImage :)

Another vote for Acronis. Makes easy work of migrating to a new HD also. You can mount a backup image and restore files to your heart's content. You can also make incremental backups also.

Regards

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Can highly recommend Acronis True Image. I've just used it to migrate my Vista Media Center set-up from a 500Gb to 1Tb hard drive - just installed both drives - set it running and it took a couple of hours.

If I were starting from scratch (which I may well do!) - I'd create a small OS partition that got backed up (which would be a lot quicker, and smaller to store)- rather than having a single partition for the entire drive!

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I do yes, just gone into it now is it "complete PC backup"? thx :thumbsup:

Yep that's the one. no need to bother with Acronis/ghost etc.. anymore for imaging. If your OS becomes goosed you can just boot from the Vista CD, choose repair then complete PC restore.

I run this one time after creating a clean stable build I'm happy with then move the resulting image file to a spare USB hard drive as a 'master' backup.

Then create a scheduled task that runs each night to create an up to date copy on a on my main bckup hard drive on daily basis. That way all bases are covered.

To create as a scheduled task the exe you need to run in task scheduler is "wbadmin"

then the arguments i use to backup just my C:\ partition to my G:\ partition are

START BACKUP -allcritical -backuptarget:G: -include:C: -quiet

Last edited:

thepharcyde

Established Member
Thank you for all the replies, going to use Vistas own image software as it's free and looks as if it looks exactly what I am looking for :)

Cheers Uridium

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom