Backup of my Dolby Vision/ Atmos UHD Blu Ray Library - MKV file playback via USB connected to JZ2000 USB port?

JimJoiner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I spent a lot of time over the most recent lockdown backing up my collection of UHD Blu Ray Dolby Vision Atmos discs to file. I am almost complete and the ones I have done are now on an 8TB external usb 3.0 hard drive in .mkv format. I have been waiting for delivery of a Panasonic JZ2000, which is due to arrive over the next few days, in time for Christmas. My question is, can I simply connect the external hard drive to the usb 3.0 port on the JZ2000 and watch the content in full Dolby Vision and Atmos?

From my research, I am aware that the file format .mkv, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are all supported by the JZ200 without the need for an additional AV receiver. My only concern is that the file sizes range between 60GB and 120GB. Can the JZ2000 handle these sizes of files via USB? Would I need to use an alternative method of playing these files through the JZ2000? Would a dedicated media 'box' such as the Amazon Fire Cube or Nvidia Shield be required.

I am not interested in setting up a server or NAS to stream the files, I simply want to play my files back from USB storage, for my family to watch in full Dolby Vision and Atmos through the JZ2000.

Please advise.

With thanks in advance.

Like all TV's the connectivity and file compatibility of the built in Media Player is full of limitations and compromises.

I've just had a quick look at the user manual for the JZ2000B and it doesn't look good.....

Your HDD may not be supported and the Audio of MKV playback is very limited and does not include Atmos.

MP4 file format does support Atmos apparently but "only if recorded with Panasonic products", whatever that means?.

At a minimum, I think you are going to need an external Media Player to achieve what you want, something like a Zidoo Z10 Pro (Dolby Vision PB, Atmos etc. internal bay for SATA HDD), or a Z1000 Pro. I have a Z9X which is similar but doesn't have the internal HDD drive bay but does have USB 3.0 connectivity supporting HDD connection (I stream from a NAS mainly)

Dear all,

I spent a lot of time over the most recent lockdown backing up my collection of UHD Blu Ray Dolby Vision Atmos discs to file. I am almost complete and the ones I have done are now on an 8TB external usb 3.0 hard drive in .mkv format. I have been waiting for delivery of a Panasonic JZ2000, which is due to arrive over the next few days, in time for Christmas. My question is, can I simply connect the external hard drive to the usb 3.0 port on the JZ2000 and watch the content in full Dolby Vision and Atmos?

From my research, I am aware that the file format .mkv, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are all supported by the JZ200 without the need for an additional AV receiver. My only concern is that the file sizes range between 60GB and 120GB. Can the JZ2000 handle these sizes of files via USB? Would I need to use an alternative method of playing these files through the JZ2000? Would a dedicated media 'box' such as the Amazon Fire Cube or Nvidia Shield be required.

I am not interested in setting up a server or NAS to stream the files, I simply want to play my files back from USB storage, for my family to watch in full Dolby Vision and Atmos through the JZ2000.

Please advise.

With thanks in advance.
Houston we have a problem
JZ2000 will not play atmos in .mkv files. I tested just now with a .mkv atmos demo file. This is the same as their UHD players.

JZ2000 will not play atmos in .mkv files. I tested just now with a .mkv atmos demo file. This is the same as their UHD players.
How about if I used something like a Nvidia Shield, connect my USB device to that and then play the .mkv files via HDMI through the TV?

Like all TV's the connectivity and file compatibility of the built in Media Player is full of limitations and compromises.

I've just had a quick look at the user manual for the JZ2000B and it doesn't look good.....

Your HDD may not be supported and the Audio of MKV playback is very limited and does not include Atmos.

MP4 file format does support Atmos apparently but "only if recorded with Panasonic products", whatever that means?.

At a minimum, I think you are going to need an external Media Player to achieve what you want, something like a Zidoo Z10 Pro (Dolby Vision PB, Atmos etc. internal bay for SATA HDD), or a Z1000 Pro. I have a Z9X which is similar but doesn't have the internal HDD drive bay but does have USB 3.0 connectivity supporting HDD connection (I stream from a NAS mainly)

Thank you for your reply, how about the Nvidia Shield? I only ask as my brother has one that I can try. Connect my HDD directly to the Shield via USB then connect the shield to TV via HDMI? Would I need an app on the shield to play the Dolby Vision and Atmos content?

Does the JZ2000 play the Dolby Vision content in .mkv format even though it doesn't play the Atmos? Do you get any sound at all? Does it reduce the atmos to Dolby 5.1 or AC3 or anything similar?

Does the JZ2000 play the Dolby Vision content in .mkv format even though it doesn't play the Atmos? Do you get any sound at all? Does it reduce the atmos to Dolby 5.1 or AC3 or anything similar?
No audio at all. I don't have a DV in .mkv demo file but for HDR10 the video played (without audio).
Message 'audio format not supported' means it won't support changing the atmos to anything else.

How about if I used something like a Nvidia Shield, connect my USB device to that and then play the .mkv files via HDMI through the TV?
If the Shield has an atmos decoder it should be able to pass PCM audio over to the JZ2000. True HD Atmos passthrough wouldn't work as the JZ2000 won't decode it. The TV will however play dd+ atmos direct from a .mkv file.

Does the shield support Dolby Vision?

You need a dedicated media player if you want dolby vision you are limited to nvidia shield pro, dune, zappati or zidoo. If it were me I'd go for a Zidoo ZX9 it's the entery model but the same picture quality as the rest of the range

You need a dedicated media player if you want dolby vision you are limited to nvidia shield pro, dune, zappati or zidoo. If it were me I'd go for a Zidoo ZX9 it's the entery model but the same picture quality as the rest of the range
Specs show current Shield TV as having DV SHIELD TV is 4K HDR Ready
What it doesn't have is USB....

This link is to the tube version, the pro version of the Shield does have 2 x USB 3.0 ports
If you weren't bothered about using a shield for streaming apps which your tv already has I'd go for a Zidoo

This link is to the tube version, the pro version of the Shield does have 2 x USB 3.0 ports
If you go for a shield you'll need the pro version as you say for the usb ports

I have read that the Shield does support both Dolby Vision and Atmos but how does it handle them if played through a .mkv container via USB? Is this even possible with a Shield? I only thought the Shield could play them through apps such as Netflix and Prime??

Hi mate

The Shield pro will play back from USB within mkv, easiest way is probably to set up a Plex server and use their client, there is also a modified kodi client which does work, caveat though, the shield ignores the enhancement layer.

More info here:-

Hi mate

The Shield pro will play back from USB within mkv, easiest way is probably to set up a Plex server and use their client, there is also a modified kodi client which does work, caveat though, the shield ignores the enhancement layer.

More info here:-

Hi chopples, thank for this but to be honest it didn't really make much sense to me. It's incredibly technical and beyond me. So, basically, are you saying that my single layer Dolby Vision MKV Remux files will play perfectly well on the Shield? Does Plex have a dedicated 'player' that can read and play from USB or do I need to set up some sort of server/ streaming service? I just want to playback via USB preferably. UHD Dolby Vision/ Atmos MKV remux file on PC > Copy said file to USB HDD > Plug into 'device' > Play on TV in Dolby Vision with Atmos. This sounds simple to me but it seems I am missing something. Please can you explain in layman's terms so I can understand exactly what I need to do? Thanks so much

Hi chopples, thank for this but to be honest it didn't really make much sense to me. It's incredibly technical and beyond me. So, basically, are you saying that my single layer Dolby Vision MKV Remux files will play perfectly well on the Shield? Does Plex have a dedicated 'player' that can read and play from USB or do I need to set up some sort of server/ streaming service? I just want to playback via USB preferably. UHD Dolby Vision/ Atmos MKV remux file on PC > Copy said file to USB HDD > Plug into 'device' > Play on TV in Dolby Vision with Atmos. This sounds simple to me but it seems I am missing something. Please can you explain in layman's terms so I can understand exactly what I need to do? Thanks so much

Hi mate

With regards to the shield

Plex client app supports DV from mkv, plex does need a server but the shield pro has the ability to run its own plex server, you follow the wizard, point to to your connected usb drive and add them, it will then scrap and build your library which will be visible in the client.

Kodi is not supported natively but you can get a modified version or install a custom player and use that within kodi for playback duties, for library you just point it to usb and and scrap, imo because DV is involved this is more difficult than just using plex

Playback, the shield pro (and other android boxes by dune and zidoo etc) can playback dv within mkv complete with atmos dts:x etc.. basically there are no issues with audio.

They can all playback profile 5 (single layer DV) within mkv, they will also playback profile 7 DV mkvs (uhd disk remuxes). BUT it will not be authentic compared to playing back the disk in a player, DV mode will engage but the enhancement layer which is included on DV disk releases will be ignored, only base layer and rpu works.

Zidoo will do all that natively and direct from a USB disk, no Kodi or Plex required! It will create a "video wall" showing all your movie files, if connected to internet via wi-fi or direct it will retrieve all info on the movie and play trailers. It supports any audio stream and is relatively simple to set up and use. Some examples.....

Attachments

• DSC00667 (3).JPG
    DSC00667 (3).JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC00668.JPG
    DSC00668.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC00669 (2).JPG
    DSC00669 (2).JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 110
Hi mate

With regards to the shield

Plex client app supports DV from mkv, plex does need a server but the shield pro has the ability to run its own plex server, you follow the wizard, point to to your connected usb drive and add them, it will then scrap and build your library which will be visible in the client.

Kodi is not supported natively but you can get a modified version or install a custom player and use that within kodi for playback duties, for library you just point it to usb and and scrap, imo because DV is involved this is more difficult than just using plex

Playback, the shield pro (and other android boxes by dune and zidoo etc) can playback dv within mkv complete with atmos dts:x etc.. basically there are no issues with audio.

They can all playback profile 5 (single layer DV) within mkv, they will also playback profile 7 DV mkvs (uhd disk remuxes). BUT it will not be authentic compared to playing back the disk in a player, DV mode will engage but the enhancement layer which is included on DV disk releases will be ignored, only base layer and rpu works.
Top man, thank you once again. I appreciate your time with this. So as the enhancement layer is ignored, would it fair to say that quality will be reduced? If this is the case, would my TV or the shield swap to HDR10?

Top man, thank you once again. I appreciate your time with this. So as the enhancement layer is ignored, would it fair to say that quality will be reduced? If this is the case, would my TV or the shield swap to HDR10?

It won’t be as good as the disk in a player but it should in theory be better than HDR10, this is because you can still take advantage of the dynamic tonemapping which DV has. In general there has been somewhat mixed reports with regards to DV remuxes on the shield, some say they can see a red colour push, others say they have no issues so it’s probably best having a read over in the nvidia forums. I actually have the older none DV shield so I can’t confirm either way.

Zidoo will do all that natively and direct from a USB disk, no Kodi or Plex required! It will create a "video wall" showing all your movie files, if connected to internet via wi-fi or direct it will retrieve all info on the movie and play trailers. It supports any audio stream and is relatively simple to set up and use. Some examples.....
Sounds interesting. What is the quality of playback like with zidoo from mkv containers holding dolby vision? Better than hdr10? I am basically just looking for the highest quality video and audio quality playback to my TV from a single box. The box must be able to play massive mkv remux files of dolby vision and atmos content flawlessly. If it can't I'll get a shield which can do hdr well and stream.

It won’t be as good as the disk in a player but it should in theory be better than HDR10, this is because you can still take advantage of the dynamic tonemapping which DV has. In general there has been somewhat mixed reports with regards to DV remuxes on the shield, some say they can see a red colour push, others say they have no issues so it’s probably best having a read over in the nvidia forums. I actually have the older none DV shield so I can’t confirm either way.
Are you still pleased with the quality of your playback? HDR10 I presume?

Sounds interesting. What is the quality of playback like with zidoo from mkv containers holding dolby vision? Better than hdr10? I am basically just looking for the highest quality video and audio quality playback to my TV from a single box. The box must be able to play massive mkv remux files of dolby vision and atmos content flawlessly. If it can't I'll get a shield which can do hdr well and stream.
It plays everything flawlessly, Dolby Vision, HDR10, Atmos etc.

Why are your files remuxed? If you rip using MakeMKV, you just select the track(s) you want ripped, everything else is ignored.

For example, I de-select all of the foreign audio tracks and subtitles. I just keep the Atmos and core 5.1 audio and english subs. Somtimes I'll keep an audio track if it's a directors commentary, for example.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom