Backup of my Dolby Vision/ Atmos UHD Blu Ray Library - MKV file playback via USB connected to JZ2000 USB port?

JimJoiner

Standard Member
It plays everything flawlessly, Dolby Vision, HDR10, Atmos etc.

Why are your files remuxed? If you rip using MakeMKV, you just select the track(s) you want ripped, everything else is ignored.

For example, I de-select all of the foreign audio tracks and subtitles. I just keep the Atmos and core 5.1 audio and english subs. Somtimes I'll keep an audio track if it's a directors commentary, for example.
I figured a remux would preserve the content in the best way. What would you suggest if all I wanted was the video and soundtrack in the highest possible quality? My video file info looks like this: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible.

JimJoiner

Standard Member
Are you using MakeMKV?
Yes I used MakeMKV. I have not attempted to play the files back yes as I am waiting for the new TV to arrive. I have a feeling this is a dual layer file. So would it play in HDR10 by default rather than not play at all?

D

Deleted member 433786

Yes I used MakeMKV. I have not attempted to play the files back yes as I am waiting for the new TV to arrive. I have a feeling this is a dual layer file. So would it play in HDR10 by default rather than not play at all?

Hi mate

there is a large thread here which talks about all these players and the limitations of each, there is a lot to digest, but the long and short is that pretty much every player has a limitation of some kind when it comes to DV. The players which are the most capable (such as those based on the Oppo 203/5 and the Sony X700) do not support DV over MKV and use other formats such as BDMV folders, ISO or mt2s.

John7

All I can say is that every DV title that I have ripped, plays back fine with the Z9X and triggers the DV flags (and DV picture profiles) on my TV (LG OLED)

Game of thrones, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Private Ryan, Total Recall, MI Fallout, Valerian,etc.

JimJoiner

Standard Member
All I can say is that every DV title that I have ripped, plays back fine with the Z9X and triggers the DV flags (and DV picture profiles) on my TV (LG OLED)

Game of thrones, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Private Ryan, Total Recall, MI Fallout, Valerian,etc.
How exactly did you rip them? Could you send me the process you used? Is Atmos playing correctly as well? Thanks

Snowfire

No audio at all. I don't have a DV in .mkv demo file but for HDR10 the video played (without audio).
Message 'audio format not supported' means it won't support changing the atmos to anything else.

If the Shield has an atmos decoder it should be able to pass PCM audio over to the JZ2000. True HD Atmos passthrough wouldn't work as the JZ2000 won't decode it. The TV will however play dd+ atmos direct from a .mkv file.

True HD passthrough works fine.

Slightly different model but should be the same just no better speakers.

Running JZ1500 with a Nvidia shield. Playing rips off of a USB. HDR/Dolby Vision work fine. As do all the sound formats. I can even get DTS even though there's no mention of it. Sadly I have a Sonos arc so can only test bog standard DTS as that doesn't support HD/X versions. But Dolby Atmos True HD works fine.

JimJoiner

Standard Member

Running JZ1500 with a Nvidia shield. Playing rips off of a USB. HDR/Dolby Vision work fine. As do all the sound formats. I can even get DTS even though there's no mention of it. Sadly I have a Sonos arc so can only test bog standard DTS as that doesn't support HD/X versions. But Dolby Atmos True HD works fine.
Yes, I believe the JZ1500 panel is identical to the JZ2000. That's good news. Which media player do you use within the Shield? Is this trough Plex or Kodi or something else?

Snowfire

Plex which uses exoplayer I believe.

Do sometimes use Kodi but it's mainly Plex.

Haven't noticed any lip sync issues either.

Would be interested to know if it will do DTS:HD and DTS:X with passthrough seeing how I can get the standard DTS.

JimJoiner

Standard Member

Hi again snowfire. I'm still struggling with this. My rips state HDR10 in mediainfo but playback is not triggering Hdr at all on tv (jz2000). I have done maybe 8 or 9 uhd rips using MakeMKV, they all play but none of them trigger Hdr on the TV so the colours look wrong. Playing back via Kodi, vlc and built in media player all on an xbox one. None of them trigger the Hdr on the TV. Please help. Thanks

Snowfire

You don't get a prompt in the right hand corner like Dolby Vision.

If you play a HDR file and go into the picture settings does it show as HDR there or not?

JimJoiner

Standard Member
No nothing just the standard 3160 x 2160 info. But, I have today downloaded the film and music player for xbox and if I put all the uhd files into their own separate folders on the USB drive then this does trigger Hdr. It seems to be working. My conclusion is that VLC, Kodi and the xbox media player do not allow hdr to be played from mkv files via xbox. This new film and music player does! Weird eh?

next010

Distinguished Member
No nothing just the standard 3160 x 2160 info. But, I have today downloaded the film and music player for xbox and if I put all the uhd files into their own separate folders on the USB drive then this does trigger Hdr. It seems to be working. My conclusion is that VLC, Kodi and the xbox media player do not allow hdr to be played from mkv files via xbox. This new film and music player does! Weird eh?
Xbox is a closed system, apps on the consoles don't have full access to the OS.

The internal video player of Xbox can activate HDR but a third party software media player cannot unless it uses the internal video player but then its really only a skin over the internal video player.

Plex requires a media server, the Nvidia Shield is somewhat unique in that it can run the Plex server on the device alongside the client, so the shield plus USB HDD can be a fully contained Plex system, there is an easy to follow video tutorial here.

I don't own a Panasonic so I'm not sure what its capable of playing via USB when it comes to HDR, the manual doesn't say much other than video/audio codecs supported.

If 4k DV video from MakeMKV doesn't work then its likely the video needs to be processed through a video converter.

Dolby Vision is also a closed standard with multiple profiles so not all DV is the same and some DV players can handle DV but with limitations.

For DV via USB on the JZ2000 you probably need to use DVDFab converter, this basically hacks together a compatible DV version of the video in mp4 container.

You must use the MP4.4K.DolbyVision.H265.10Bit profile in DVDFab for DV content, if you have a PC with a recent GPU it can use hardware transcoding which should speed up the process a lot
common settings->AV Codec->Lightning Shrink enabled.

Do regular 4K HDR10 from MakeMKV work via USB if no try dropping the MKV file into TS-Muxer select output as TS muxing and generate the file, see if that works.

Last edited:

Muratcan

Like all TV's the connectivity and file compatibility of the built in Media Player is full of limitations and compromises.

I've just had a quick look at the user manual for the JZ2000B and it doesn't look good.....

Your HDD may not be supported and the Audio of MKV playback is very limited and does not include Atmos.

MP4 file format does support Atmos apparently but "only if recorded with Panasonic products", whatever that means?.

At a minimum, I think you are going to need an external Media Player to achieve what you want, something like a Zidoo Z10 Pro (Dolby Vision PB, Atmos etc. internal bay for SATA HDD), or a Z1000 Pro. I have a Z9X which is similar but doesn't have the internal HDD drive bay but does have USB 3.0 connectivity supporting HDD connection (I stream from a NAS mainly)

The best way is just a Media Player PC isn't it?

Snowfire

Yeah Nvidia shield pro is the king.

Panasonic will play mkv directly from a usb drive attached to the TV, but won't play audio if the soundtrack is DTS.

kidznok

Novice Member
Yeah Nvidia shield pro is the king.

Panasonic will play mkv directly from a usb drive attached to the TV, but won't play audio if the soundtrack is DTS.
Could you help me?
I use my USB HDD and Panasonic doesn't see language with DTS audio (mkv). So what I can do?
Buy Nvidia? I have chromcast 4.0

Snowfire

Could you help me?
I use my USB HDD and Panasonic doesn't see language with DTS audio (mkv). So what I can do?
Buy Nvidia? I have chromcast 4.0

Internal speakers can't play DTS as isn't available. Need external speaker system and turn passthrough on the TV to play DTS.

JimJoiner

Standard Member
From my experience over the past few weeks and with a ton of help from other forum members, I have discovered that the following works very well for blu ray and UHD 4k mkv playback on my jz2000. It should work on other jz models also. My situation means that I do not have the space for a full AV sound system so I rely on the inbuilt speakers which, I must add, are superb in conjunction with my Cambridge Audio Minx sub.

I ripped all of my bluray and uhd blurays using make mkv. All of them are large files which I wanted to playback directly on the TV via usb as I have no interest in plex etc.

My first attempt was connecting the hdd to the USB port of the TV. No joy at all as my hdd is not formatted to Fat32. No picture, no sound.

My second attempt was using the USB port on my son's xbox on. The drive was recognised and through the built in media player, the files appeared. However, my findings were not ideal. The picture played for every file but only sound played for files using an AC3 or EAC3 codec. Atmos, True HD and DTS codecs failed to work, these files only offered video with no audio.

I persevered. I then downloaded Kodi on the xbox. Again, all files were made available but this was even worse. Video displayed incorrectly and colours were off, washed out. Hdr was not triggered so image was terrible. I then tried VLC and worse again, the app just crashed upon playback. Hopeless.

Not one to give up easily, I continued my research and stumbled on a post from another AV forum in the states. Someone mentioned another xbox app called Movies and TV player. What the hell, let's try it. So I downloaded it.

The drive was recognised, the files were made available and as soon as I pressed play, Hdr triggered on the TV. Both video and audio played perfectly. However, the app then crashed after 3 minutes. Jesus!

I thought I would try one last thing. Something I noticed from using a pc is that single folders populated with huge individual files are difficult for Microsoft to handle. I then attached my hdd to my pc and placed each movie file into its own individual folder rather than having them all in one master folder. It worked a treat!!

HDR is triggered every single time and audio played brilliantly. The only thing it can't handle is DTS True HD, but I expected that to be honest. I got around this by running the DTS only files through Xmedia Recode which is a piece of freeware I picked up. I simply converted the DTS to Dolby 5.1 E-AC3, leaving the video untouched and creating a new mkv file. Each file took about 7 minutes and 5.1 is perfectly acceptable for my tvs speaker system. Now, through this setup everything plays at fantastic quality, both video and audio.

In summary, full UHD mkv rips will play perfectly in HDR on an xbox one through the Movies and TV player app via USB. All audio formats accept DTS will play perfectly. You need to place each individual mkv file into it's own individual folder. No glitches, no stutter, no crashing, no buffering, no drop out. It just works.

I hope my journey goes someway to helping.

kidznok

Novice Member
From my experience over the past few weeks and with a ton of help from other forum members, I have discovered that the following works very well for blu ray and UHD 4k mkv playback on my jz2000. It should work on other jz models also. My situation means that I do not have the space for a full AV sound system so I rely on the inbuilt speakers which, I must add, are superb in conjunction with my Cambridge Audio Minx sub.

I ripped all of my bluray and uhd blurays using make mkv. All of them are large files which I wanted to playback directly on the TV via usb as I have no interest in plex etc.

My first attempt was connecting the hdd to the USB port of the TV. No joy at all as my hdd is not formatted to Fat32. No picture, no sound.

My second attempt was using the USB port on my son's xbox on. The drive was recognised and through the built in media player, the files appeared. However, my findings were not ideal. The picture played for every file but only sound played for files using an AC3 or EAC3 codec. Atmos, True HD and DTS codecs failed to work, these files only offered video with no audio.

I persevered. I then downloaded Kodi on the xbox. Again, all files were made available but this was even worse. Video displayed incorrectly and colours were off, washed out. Hdr was not triggered so image was terrible. I then tried VLC and worse again, the app just crashed upon playback. Hopeless.

Not one to give up easily, I continued my research and stumbled on a post from another AV forum in the states. Someone mentioned another xbox app called Movies and TV player. What the hell, let's try it. So I downloaded it.

The drive was recognised, the files were made available and as soon as I pressed play, Hdr triggered on the TV. Both video and audio played perfectly. However, the app then crashed after 3 minutes. Jesus!

I thought I would try one last thing. Something I noticed from using a pc is that single folders populated with huge individual files are difficult for Microsoft to handle. I then attached my hdd to my pc and placed each movie file into its own individual folder rather than having them all in one master folder. It worked a treat!!

HDR is triggered every single time and audio played brilliantly. The only thing it can't handle is DTS True HD, but I expected that to be honest. I got around this by running the DTS only files through Xmedia Recode which is a piece of freeware I picked up. I simply converted the DTS to Dolby 5.1 E-AC3, leaving the video untouched and creating a new mkv file. Each file took about 7 minutes and 5.1 is perfectly acceptable for my tvs speaker system. Now, through this setup everything plays at fantastic quality, both video and audio.

In summary, full UHD mkv rips will play perfectly in HDR on an xbox one through the Movies and TV player app via USB. All audio formats accept DTS will play perfectly. You need to place each individual mkv file into it's own individual folder. No glitches, no stutter, no crashing, no buffering, no drop out. It just works.

I hope my journey goes someway to helping.
Thanks a lot. Nice work.
But I don't have xbox, only ps4pro so I should recode DTS to dolby and JZ2000 usb should work fine?

JimJoiner

Standard Member
Not directly through the TV USB port. You will need a player if some description. I am sure the ps4 pro will have a downloadable media player app that will work for you just like the xbox did for me. Alternatively, you could try the USB port of a bluray player, an Nvidia Shield, android media box etc etc but if the xbox can do it, I'm sure the ps4 could as well. Search the PlayStation store for media player apps and try a few.

kidznok

Novice Member
Yesterday I put to usb my hdd disc with copy of movie and...
On the right corner I have information Dolby Atmos but my picture was pink like on the photo.
At the down panel I was looking for Dolby Atmos mode but there wasn't. So I have question where is problem? This copy of movie is wrong?

DSC_3580.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification