• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Backlignt bleeding on my new led tv grrrr

baby_boi

Standard Member
Hi all i have recently just brought a new tv from M & S

Its 42inch led tv, but ive noticed it has backlight bleeding on it. Is this bad or not to bad. I don't know whether to stay with it or ask for a refund. I only paid £230 for it with a 5 yr warranty.

Pics

Is this bad?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Common issue with the technology unfortunately - especially the cheapies

Paul MC007

Prominent Member
Hi all i have recently just brought a new tv from M & S

Its 42inch led tv, but ive noticed it has backlight bleeding on it. Is this bad or not to bad. I don't know whether to stay with it or ask for a refund. I only paid £230 for it with a 5 yr warranty.

Pics
[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6229/dscf1610j.th.jpg]image
[/URL]
[URL=http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5086/dscf1611t.th.jpg]image
[/URL]

Is this bad?

Well, presumably, obviously this is an edge lit LED set (is it a Samsung from the picture??)

Unfortunately, this can be quite common with LED sets, but shouldn't perhaps be quite as bad as your pictures suggest.

May I ask what settings you have the brightness/backlight/contrast/picture setting to? Obviously if brightness is set too high this can exaggerate the problem.

If you have the settings at a "reasonable" level, then you need to seriously question whether, during normal tv viewing this is going to affect your enjoyment?

For example, watching darker scenes within films/tv shows/letterboxed films (black bars top and bottom)? Can you notice it quite a bit? If so, whilst this may be a common downside to edge lit LED technology - it shouldn't be *that* bad. Your pictures display this quite badly, but sometimes photo's do exaggerate the effect a little....

To sum up then, providing you haven't got all the settings mentioned earlier up too high and have changed the mode perhaps from "vivid" (or similar) and you *still* notice this badly on some darker content, then you *must* contact M and S and explain you are not accepting it. Have you had this over 28 days? If so, it might not be a straight forward swap or refund though......you might have to go down the "repair" route.

I know all this as I have recently done this and got a swap quite easily.....the first set I had was appalling (similar to your photo's actually) - the second set I ended up with, whilst not perfect in this area, was *a lot* better - so - hope this helps.

Good luck.....:)

Oh - and finally- you may only have paid £230 with a 5 year warranty - BUT - a tv should still be "fit for purpose" - ie viewing general content tv without any bad artefacts - and, whilst this phenonemon *is* a common trait of LCD/LED (especially edge lit tv's) it shouldn't be bad enough to spoil your enjoyment of watching the set....

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom