Backlights for TV's What are the options?

Tyler Durden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am thinking about using back lighting behind my TV, and thought I would compile a list, so I'll start it and hopefully you can help me complete it.

IKEA Dioder - White £39.99 - IKEA | Integrated lighting | Bookcases integrated lighting | DIODER | Lighting strip
IKEA Dioder - Multi Coloured £49.99 - IKEA | Integrated lighting | Bookcases integrated lighting | DIODER | Lighting strip

Duralite Rope Lights - Any Colour £2.48 per Metre - Duralite Rope Lights
Mains Connection Kit with End Cap for Rope Lights - £4.10
Duralight Mounting Clips ( Sold in packs of 25 ) - £2.25
Postage - £3.50​

Thanks

TD

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I have added them to the list. Any more?

No worries. I've been looking into doing this so am v. interested in what else turns up.

I think the rope light is looking favourite at the moment. Not only is it cheaper, but it also will give a more uniform light behind the set. Some of the installs I have seen with the IKEA lights have the lights a little localised to the sides, top and bottom of the screen, and not much at the corners.

to be honest, all the ones i've seen here look amazing.
Then again, my current setup includes big chased out holes in the wall that i haven't got round to plastering yet :rotfl: (just rewired the place, and returning to work has dramatically slowed my progress in finishing it off).

Ideally i'd want to wire them into existing lighting, rather than have them plugged in. For 230v ones this would be fairly easy i guess.
Then there are these new LED type things. They're dearer and the choice is mind boggling. I'm guessing they're lower energy.
LED Lights and LED Lighting for the home & garden.

Hey Al, can your provide a link?

Thanks

Okay, thanks, I'll try my local.

Any idea of the code?

Just got off the phone from Maplins. They only do solar powered fairy lights now, so I am looking around fleabay for an alternative.

Do you recall what length you used?

Well initially we got some with 40 led`s 3 mts which weren`t long enough so changed them for 80`s 6 mts.

now some of them are infact behind the plasterboard but it doesn`t matter. Just in case as well I pulled another length of them through but doubt i`ll ever need them as they last forever.

Also the power supplies are connected via a female mini jack so incase the PS goes you simply replace that and not the whole shebang :smashin:

Bought LED rope light from Aldi only a tenner but didn't last very long, half of the length failed and now totally dead.:( Apollo lights way too much, to get several 24" lengths will cost £100+

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom