1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backlight?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by adamlleon, Dec 5, 2004.

1. adamlleon

adamlleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi looking for some help. New to LCD- coming from the crt/plasma background. Anyway have bought a Panasonic 26" LXD1 Viera Lcd screen and not sure about the impact the 'backlight' adjustment has. I am used to seeing Contrast adjust maximum white level, and brightness adjusting the black level....but no idea what backlight does and how this will effect setting up the unit with test signals etc. General observation is that the picture is great in 'bright' scenes but AWFUL in darker scenes- the black level seems to be a washed out grey at best...I'm assuming this is normal for an LCD and just something to live with?
    Help appreciated...
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's about it - dark grey is as good as it gets with LCD. Most folk (and I am among them) put up with it (although still sometimes hanker after a real black level). There are many plus points about LCD, but you have highlighted the biggest drawback. Whatever adjustments can be made to the backlight, the problem won't go away.

3. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally due to my room lighting I've found having the backlight almost off is the best way. Obviously if you have a well lit room you will probably find you need to increase the level accordingly. If your black is grey then you may find reducing the backlight will improve the situation.

4. adamlleon

adamlleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanations so far but i'm still confused as to the difference between backlight,contrast and brightness on an lcd...especially where backlight is concerned..
    Any answers outthere?
    Thanks
    Adam

5. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this helps, but i've had a problem with buzzing noise from my Tosh 32WL48 that turned out to be modulation of the backlight. Rather than being controlled by voltage/current, it would appear that the backlight intensity is controlled by modulation. In my case, I could hear a buzzing noise that only disappeared by increasing the backlight level. The main difference I can point out is that "contrast"/"brightness" are the result of image processing, whereas "backlight" is simply the intensity of light behind the panel. A combination of the processing options e.g. brightness & contrast can compensate for changes in the backlight intensity from what I can tell.