Backlight turns off on dark screen

Piidls

Novice Member
Bought myself a 65 TCL P610 and has some issues. When the screen turns completely dark (between scenes, empty loading screen, etc) the backlight cuts off. It keeps lit for around 1 sec, then turns off, only to return back when there is again action on the screen.

Is this normal? Sounds like a power saving setting. I get that it's normal (have read some TVs turn off the backlight if idle for a minute), but like said mine is 1 second. It's extremely distracting as the difference between a backlit dark screen and a completely dark screen is big and as this happens during all "dramatic" black screens, it's frequent and very noticable.

I have gone through every single setting (also in hidden settings), all different screen presets, everything. Only way to solve it seems to be to set the backlight to 0, then it can't turn off anymore :)

Suggestions? TCL Europe support is apparently non-existent.

Ps. could someone test this, preferably on a TCL but any will do? This is a good test:
The video starts with a long black screen, enough for my TV to start backlit (greyish black) and to switch to complete black due to backlight dropping off. Or: start the video, pause on black, remove the play options so that you only see black and see what happens.

This could be also an issue with TCLs aggressive auto-dimming which, again, can't be turned off.

Last edited:

Emma Barr

Standard Member
As LCDs do not produce light by themselves—unlike, for example, cathode ray tube (CRT) displays—they need illumination (ambient light or a special light source) to produce a visible image. Backlights illuminate the LCD from the side or back of the display panel, unlike frontlights, which are placed in front of the LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom