1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backlight problems

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gilesm, Dec 17, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all

Well all excited I've just spent an evening watching my new Spheros 37. When I tested it in the shop it was amazing and when it was installed (during the day) but now, at night, I'm getting very annoying torchlight affect from all four corners - which I presume is the back light. It's most noticeable on the bottom left corner. I've seen lots of people mentioning problems like this, is it just becuase it's new? Is it going to get better? Is there any settings I can tweak to get rid of it. I must say it's dampened my whole enthusiasm for LCDs at the moment :mad:

Cheers

2. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Most backlights change slightly as they warm up. Obviously the backlights run warm and depending on how tightly pressed they are against the screen, this can change how they react over the first 20-30 minutes.

You say you are seeing lighter areas in all 4 corners. This is unusual and should not be so obvious that you can see it all the time. Does this happen as soon as you switch it on from cold? Have you tried turning down the backlight? (which will mean it doesn't get as hot).

It is possible it will improve slightly after a number of heat-up, cool-down cycles.

Otherwise you may indeed have a faulty one. It is normal for the backlight not to be perfect and have slight differences across the screen. However, unless you have a totally black screen, or possibly a totally white one, you shouldn't be able to notice it.

Jonathan

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Giles

My Xelos came with contrast and brightness setting set very high. The settings that I use now will probably be different to those on the Spheros and will differ from input to input, ie DVI, component, RGB, but they should put you in the ball park. There are no obvious backlight settings even in the service menu.

As for what you are experiencing, I do get a very very slight difference in brightness that changes as you change your viewing angle. Infact at very close distance and acute angles vertically up from the screen, the picture looks pinky. But this is only visible on a totally black screen and I have seen similar on other LCD's from other manufacturers.

If the 'spotlights' are noticable with normal viewing and the settings adjustment doesn't reduce the problem, I would think that you would need to contact Linnsight for more advice - derek.love @ linnsight.co.uk and cc, helpdesk @ linnsight.co.uk. Make sure you get the automated response generated from the helpdesk address otherwise your email will have been filtered by Linn's antispam system and you will never get a response.

When I first got my Xelos, I was not happy with the PQ, but a few tweaks dramatically improved things. It got installed about lunchtime and by the evening I was happy with what I was seeing.

-Ian

I hope these help. Based on calibrated DVI input using DVE and tweaked for RGB D-Tv input.

Contrast : 48
    Colour : 36
    Brightness : 30
    Picture adjustment : Normal
    The other adjustments are pretty much personal taste, but I do set sharpness at 3 for normal viewing as this gives me a good balance between the picture being over processed and blurred.

4. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jonathan, Ian

Thanks for your replies. It was noticeable last night (for the first time) with the TV having been on since about 5pm. As soon as I started looking at it - during Gardeners World ( :eek: ) - that must have been about 8:30 I saw it straight away. These 'torch lights' are in all four corners, but I didn't really notice them in the top corners and botoom right until I started looking. However the bottom left is very very noticable, it really is like someones pressing a torch against the screen. Watching Jonathon Ross it was fine - it was a bright picture no problems at all, but Father Ted, QI and on DVD it was noticable to the point of being very irritating. It wasn't just with the living room lights switched off neither, with all of the lights switched on, you could still notice it. I'm also not sitting close to the TV, I sit about 13 ft away, but it is quite high on the wall so I'm looking slighty up at it.

I've tried it this morning and there's nothing there, but then it really is very bright, so will try it again this evening.

Ian thanks for the settings I'll give them ago and see what difference that makes.

Thanks guys

Giles

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Any progress?

6. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ian, made some changes yesterday as per your settings, it was indeed on high intensity, think that's the default. During the day it was glorious, although there was a bright patch there on the bottom left but really only if you looked hard. Watched Donnie Darko at night and the bright patch was there from start to finish. Again Donnie Darko is quite a dark film as well. Went in and talked to my HiFi shop and they'd never heard of the problem on any LCD - suggested they ought to have a read here !!! But I've got to monitor it until they open again on Tuesday and if it's a problem still they're going to talk to Linn about getting a replacement. Had a look at their display 32" Spheros, and couldn't see any evidence of bright patches at all.

On another note, I bought a QED Component Cable yesterday (just using a QED RGB SCART before), and connected it to my DVD player and wow what a difference that has made, the PQ (besides the bright light) is just stunning.

Giles

7. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had exactly the same problem on a ferguson 32 lcd,while watching star wars it was diabolical,tried several different settings just couldnt get rid of it.in the end i took it back and bought a panasonic vierra instead,spent a bit more and the fogging is hardly noticable.obviously when your spending so much on a tv ,you expect a decent picture. return it and get something else.

8. dmsims

dmsims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to add it does hapeen with LCD TV's, my first one poor the replacement was perfect (well nearly). Do not be fobbed off get a replacement

9. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to follow up on this one, the bright patch in the bottom left hand corner now is much less noticeable having used it for 2-3 weeks (it's not that I'm getting used to it, it really does appear to be fading), however Loewe have agreed that the bright patch shouldn't exist and that it must be a fault with this panel, thus they're going to replace the panel next week.

Thanks for all your replies, I'll let you know what the next one's like.