'Backlight bleed' thread...post problems/cures here

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by leamspaceman, May 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    I've got a Samsung LE40R74BD. Prior to that I had a Samsung LE32R73BD. Both of these suffered 'backlight bleed.'

My LE40 has a 'cloud' in the top right corner and a smaller one bottom right. With both TV's, I've found the problem to be related to ambient temperature. The colder my living room, the more noticeable the bleed is. I've just recently turned my heating off and my living room is ALOT cooler. Subsequently, the backlight bleed is worse. After the TV has been on 20 minutes the bleed disappears, it settles down.

I've been reading the forums and it seems nearly all LCD's suffer this. In a very quick search I found backlight bleed problems on Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba LCD's.

I've also read about some people who have cured this problem by 'massaging' the screen with a cloth? Does this work? What kind of pressure should be applied?

I'm just happy my screen had no dead/stuck pixels so it's not too much of an issue.

Just thought it would be good to start a thread dedicated to this problem...if it hasn't already.

Cheers.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    If the TV has a sort of 'flashlight' appearance near the top or bottom corners, it's likely caused by stress on the panel. Some people on the US AVS Forum have apparently solved this by opening the TV and loosening the screws that hold the panel, by just a little. (But there seems to be a lot of the placebo effect on that forum at times).

It's very interesting that you seem to be finding a correlation with temperature, though.

3. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    No, it isn't the 'flashlight' effect, it's definately backlight bleed, although I think it may have been that on my previous set. Temperature would also play a part in this as the overtightening would relax or tighten depending on the ambient temperature.

Yes, there is definately a correlation between ambient temperature and the level of the bleed...no doubt about it.