Backing up windows partition

martyn_wheeler

Hi There,

Having just got my new PC in a nice working condition I would like to make a backup of my pristine windows partition such that I can recover it in the event of drive failure/messed up windows.

I have partition wizard 5.2 on my machine which claims to be able to copy partitions (including the windows partition and the 100 MB of system reserved space at the beginning of the disk). However, I cannot mark the first partition on my backup disk as being bootabl (it is active but I can't figure out how to make it bootable).

Anyone else use anything similar for their backups.

Martyn

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
If you have Windows 7 it has a built in backup tool that can create a system image backup.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I have partition wizard 5.2 on my machine which claims to be able to copy partitions (including the windows partition and the 100 MB of system reserved space at the beginning of the disk). However, I cannot mark the first partition on my backup disk as being bootabl (it is active but I can't figure out how to make it bootable).

What sort of disk is your backup disk? DVD, Internal Hard drive or external hard drive?

Usually you'd use cloning software although that may be what your software is doing.

martyn_wheeler

I was not aware of the system image facility in Win7. I have made an image on my USB external hard drive.

As I understand it I can now use that image in conjunction with the system recovery CD to restore my system to a new HDD in the event of HDD failure/Windows problem?

If I have two Win7 Computers can I put system images on the same USB external drive? Do I only need one recovery CD (they are both 64-bit Home Premium)?

Returning to my original question, I managed to make a copy of my internal drive with Partion Manager software which was bootable. However, if I try and boot via USB drive I get a BSOD and the system restarts instantly. Is it possible to boot win7 from an external USB HDD?

Thanks in advance,

Martyn

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom