backing up sky+ programs to dvd

JimmyCobra

Novice Member
what options have i got.

i have tried a cheap usb device from the vcr scart which cost about £25, the quality is poor to say its mpeg2.

has anybody had better results using a quality card, would a cheap dvd recorder witha hard drive be a better option.

or use rewritable media and edit on a pc.

Starburst

Novice Member
The VCR scart is composite so won't look as good as RGB or even s-video.

I have a very basic capture card in my PC which is fed from the SKY+ s-video and the RCA phonos, gives perfectly acceptable picture quality when using high bitrate encoding however it's not a patch on the main display quality but if that's the only way to get a copy it'e better than VHS.

A cheap DVD recorder is a very good alternative, you can just dump the RGB output of the SKY+ onto disk and then put that in the PC for editing, authoring and burning. A PC based option is likely to totally eclipse what a DVDr with HDD can do and do it easier as well but probably cost a lot more if you do not already have a suitable PC.

JimmyCobra

Novice Member
Starburst said:
The VCR scart is composite so won't look as good as RGB or even s-video.

I have a very basic capture card in my PC which is fed from the SKY+ s-video and the RCA phonos, gives perfectly acceptable picture quality when using high bitrate encoding however it's not a patch on the main display quality but if that's the only way to get a copy it'e better than VHS.

A cheap DVD recorder is a very good alternative, you can just dump the RGB output of the SKY+ onto disk and then put that in the PC for editing, authoring and burning. A PC based option is likely to totally eclipse what a DVDr with HDD can do and do it easier as well but probably cost a lot more if you do not already have a suitable PC.
thanks for pointing out the s-video option it has increased the quality, but as you say no a patch on the original broadcast, i have suitable pc, and i am used to accessing broadcasts on my topfield via usb. sky offers more veiwing options than freeview, but sky does not allow a perminant backup from the box itself. over the next month one has to be a winner.

Starburst

Novice Member
I would be tempted to get a PC based Freeview card and then you won't even have to bother with a USB connection from the Toppy, unless the two sit very close together already:)

If PAY telly access isn't the issue then I think the more open platform of Freeview makes it more attractive for what you want and perhaps when Freesat (BBC/ITV) launches next year that may give you a Dsat alternative.

Top Bottom