1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up Sky+ films

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wizbongre, Jul 18, 2004.

1. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi,

Having had Sky+ for a couple of months now and suffering from "record anything-itis" I have only about 10% space left! I want to start backing up the films I have recorded.

I have a couple of VHS recorders but don't want to lose the quality so am looking to go down the recorable DVD route... Has anyone done this and can give me any tips (i.e. recommended DVD recorders?) I'm looking to spend about £200 for the recorder. The thing that confuses me is will a typical film fit onto one DVD? Or will i have to apply some sort of compression like with long-play VHS recorders?

Also, as the recorded will be replacing my DVD player picture quality for normal DVD viewing is a priority.

Thanks.

2. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Actually, I'm just looking at models and have come across the Cambridge Audio DVD55RWi... It has progressive scan which will be a step up from my current DVD player (KISS DVD350) but wondered does anyone have one?

3. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Anyone?!

:lease:

4. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think you'll find you will get ~2 hours out of a recordable DVD without losing quality so should be OK for most films, will basically work like a VHS recorder.

I'm thinking of capturing video via Video-In on my PC to then burn to DVD, can't get the enthusiasm up to pi55 about with it at the mo though.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Sorry Wizbongre I don't have a DVD recorder at this time and it looks like not many other people do especially the Cambridge model you mention.
    There has been a lot of consolidation in the rival formats over the last 12 months and a reduction in prices as new models and new manufacturers have joined the market.

Remember that a DVD recorder can not match the quality of a SKY+ recording since it only takes the analogue RGB output and the re-encodes it for writing to the DVD, far superior to VHS of course and storage is more convienent.
    Most will have a number of compression levels including an auto setting which will make sure you use the entire capacity of the blank for a recording. A two hour movie will fit onto a single layer blank DVD at a very reasonable bitrate.

You could try asking for opinions over at the DS PVR Forum, there are certainly threads which cover DVD and DVD/HD units which might answer some questions and there is a DVD Recorder section on this forum:)