1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up/Restoring E-mails?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Feb 12, 2004.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    How can I do this using Outlook? :confused:

I have a Lycos mail account, and using a utility available from Lycos, Outlook synchronizes itself with my webmail facility when I start up (useful for me as I access my email from all over the place but like to use Outlook when at home). Where possible, I like to keep most of my received emails; and owing to Lycos's 15MB limit, the way I do this is to copy emails I want to "archive" over to a separate folder in my Outlook directory (i.e. removing them totally from the Lycos server).

Now, assuming I want to do a fresh installation, all of these mails will be lost as they're saved to my HD. Copying them back to my Lycos Inbox and "re-synchronizing" later isn't an option as in total there's probably about 40MB of emails, so what can I do? I assume there must be a way of saving my directory's and restoring them later?

What do I save, and how do I restore it later on?!

Thanks in advance, apologies if this is a bit of a simpleton question!

K.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Export your outlook file as a *.pst and this will back up your emails and contacts, then simply import them to your new machine.

Microsoft do a free outlook backup addin that allows you to automate this process on a daily/weekly process.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks John - done :)

K.