1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up PS2 Games?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by ellisbailey, Dec 26, 2003.

1. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have just been bought a PS2 by my girlfriend and several games. I do not want to take any chance of breaking the discs etc so does anyone know how to back them up?

i can back up my dvd`s no problem so I assume you must be able to back up PS2 games?

Cheers, Ellis.

2. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd have to chip your PS2. Just use the discs, they're not that delicate.

3. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As long as you don't throw your discs around the house, bend them or scratch through the coating it's almost impossible for a disc to stop working

There's no logical reason to want (or need) to back up a disc IMO.

4. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you want to play "Backups" rather than Backups.

5. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a couple of 'moody' PS2 discs which I backed up and used the backups instead. They played fine then :) ... they were CD-ROMs so I just did a disc-disc copy using my CDwriter

:smashin:

6. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should have just taken them back to the shop, there's nothing like working originals, what you did was also illegal.

7. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt take the chance in backing them up, your might break your finger or something, come to think of it, dont leave the house its very dangerous out there.:rotfl:

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,141
    I back up most of my PS2 games using dvd x-copy.I have 2 young children that use the PS2 so i would rather keep the originals in perfect condition.

9. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    illegal only if you don't own the games you back up.

if backing up was totally illegal then so would the shops selling these mod chips...but there are plenty of those around :cool:

10. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's a myth mate, read what it says on the back of a game case.

11. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mind me asking why you need an original in 'perfect condition'?
    PS2 games will only be worth a fiver tops in the future, if you can sell them at all.
    Optical media is designed to last for years, many people have CD's that have lasted 20 years.
    Also backups of data were always intended to be used in critical situations, not in a home entertainment situation, and if you are using a backup as you main source it is no longer a backup.
    Not trying to be funny, but nobody needs backups of games, Ive yet to see anyone give a justifying reason for owning them let alone using them.
    Just look on the back of a game case in case you were in any doubt about the legality.

12. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    back of a game case says unauthorised ' rental, copying, lending etc... is prohibited' ... so does that mean that lending the game to a mate is also illegal ?

not trying to be funny but I wouldn't want to call Sony or whoever it is etc to ask for permission to lend my game to a mate and the same goes for making a backup copy...

13. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If thats what sony wish then so be it, but
    I can understand why people want to lend games, I can also understand why Blockbuster want to run a business with approval of sony in renting games. However one thing I cannot understand is why do we need to make a backup copy of a game? a backup incase of what? :eek:
    only businesses need backups of data because livelyhoods may depend on it.
    If you have a bad disk you take it back to the shop or send it back to sony, just like if anything else you buy does not work or last for a reasonable time.

14. daveymacca

daveymacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erpland, you obviously don't have Kids. If you see what mine did to my brand new copy of SSX3 you'd want to backup your games.I've had a HD fitted to my XBOX so the Kids don't ruin my DVD's, now if only I could stop them getting chocolate on the Pad !!

15. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    kids should be taught to treat things with respect. especially 40 quid pieces of plastic.....

that goes for anyone really. ive lost count how many times have i seen my 20+ year old friends mishandle DVDs and games.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    It is definatelly not illegal to make a back up of a game you own. When you buy the game you buy the "personal rights" to the game. In that I mean that you personally own the game to play as and when you wish. This authorises you to make as many copies as you wish for your own personal use only. Obviously you would have to prove that your reason for backing up the game was justified, so if you has 1000 copies of the game you would find it very hard to justify why. If you have 1 copy then this is not a problem at all as CD's and DVD's are easily damaged, especially by children and if the original is damaged by you then you no longer have the means to access the game you bought the rights to play. You also have no legal right to take it back to the shop if it was damaged by you, although the shop may still replace the game as it's hard to prove you damaged it. I personally am careful with my games but i am an adult and know better. With a child it is different as the disc will probably end up lying on the floor with chocolate smeared all over it! For an adult though there seems no real reason to make backups and this seems to be just a crafty way of asking how to copy unowned PS2 games. After all it's not rocket science, take the disc out of it's protective plastic case and put it in the ps2. When finished press eject and replace the disc back into it's protective case. As long as you don't throw the disc into a wall, chuck it on the fire or rub it up and down on a sharp metal object at any stage during this process you should be ok!