1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up PS2 Games

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Matfel, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Matfel

Matfel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Ball park cost of £40 Sterling for new games, and with two young children, the chances of a disc getting used as a 'frisbee' or a coaster. or jewellery, Leads me to the question?

How do you, or in fact can you? back up your PS2 games?

Seasons Greetings.........Mat

2. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't back them up as such, and anyway it would be illegal to do so, oh yes it would!
    Most of us with kids keep them on high shelves and threaten use of the Martial Art 'back hand' if they dont respect the valuable property.
    My daughter has carried CD's using her finger through the middle since she was 4!

If they are out of order, and break a disc, it is sometimes possible to have it replaced by the manufacturer at a low rate, they should not have to do it for free when its you who are smashing them.
    Or if you really want to be tight, claim it off the house insurance under your accidental damage section.

I cant believe that anyone on here would have genuinely found a backup useful in the past, anyone?
    I've got hundreds of Cd's and only ever had a problem with a couple of Dreamcast games which were replaced by the retail store, ok so copying music CD's for use whilst travelling can be handy if your CD collection is pampered.

If you really want to indulge in illegal activity, and the kids bit is just an excuse, there are plenty of copies flying around the net if you have the time and patience, you'll need a DVD writer at £100, Blank discs a couple of quid each, and a chip for the Playstation (£30?) worth the hassle? could just buy second hand.
    Be warned, once you enter the realms of wads of free games, it takes an element of excitement out of the hobby as you really become spoilt for choice and never end up enjoying games to their full, unless you have virtually every hour of the day free, which you dont because you have kids!

I think that covers just about everything

:smashin:

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Not exactly true most of the PS2 games are CDs not DVDs as they are cheaper to produce.

There are many sources on the web for this, it is not usually a topic that is discussed at great deal on the forum.

I agree though, some correct law and order with the kids is needed :) I have to do the same with 24 year old housemate!!!!!

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact most DVDs can be "ripped" onto CDs (eg. remove all the DVD film parts so at to fit on 700MB CD) .......although still a "no no" for legal bods

5. Matfel

Matfel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

Thanks for 'candid' advice, not least on the 'Home Front'

Actually one of those 'rare' genuine 'backup' questions as my 4 yr old boy just destroyed a Philips VCR!

Now....where did I put that 'Birch'..........

Cheers ya'all........Seasons Greetings..........

6. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You should be lucky ...

...my kids have got through a DVD player AND a VCR this year!!!

7. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Its not illegal to make a backup copy of a game you own.

Thats what I understood anyway!

ANYWAY, if you go to computer fairs there are loads of software things you can buy that do it for you! But as mentioned above you may need a dvd writer!

8. Matfel

Matfel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mr Queso.........I have got off lightly it would seem.

I must admit, I thought that legally, with summit you have legally purchased, that you could make copies for your own use?

Just not for distribution...or certainly....re-sale!!!

Still, point taken.....I'll put them away and on a high shelf......

Thanks everyone...........Mat

9. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill informed one, that was the case in the old days in IT departments when you were sold code as code, today stuff has copy protection, and its illegal to break/hack copy protection, its also illegal to sell gadgets designed to get around copy protection on a particular machine, isnt that why Bleem were taken to court by Sony amongst other shops like Lik-sang selling chips?

Ive got an idea, just read the instruction booklets with your games and see what it says in there.

Ok, first Instruction booklet that comes to hand from my games cupboard, Sega Dreramcast, back page, first line:

'Copying or Transmission of this game is strictly prohibited'

All the talk of it being legal is all a load of bulls.it, nobody needs a back up copy unless you have a business that depends on it.
    If your media fails you take it back to the shop just the same as anything else you buy, if you or kids smash the media then usually manufactures will replace it for a lower fee.

10. dogma6

dogma6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    or you could just back it up :cool: , who cares if its legal or not.

I bet the majority of people who have chipped consoles i.e xbox backup onto ther hd from there er *cough* original dvd ;)

11. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Lik-sang and Bleem were both outside the UK.

The DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) in the USA makes it an offence to break copyright, or to create / sell devices for breaking copyright. However, US laws don't (yet) apply to UK citizens. The US is however very keen on protecting the copyright of their companies, and they put considerable pressure on the Norwegian authorities to prosecute DVD Jon (writer of DECSS).

The EU is considering it's own equivalent to the DMCA, but I don't believe the UK has implemented any directives from this yet.

12. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Hasnt Austrailia made it legal for you to chip your consoles saying that manufacturers have no right to stop you changing YOUR console once you have bought it?